Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texjagman

Concerns with Aaron's Farm Nursery

texjagman
10 years ago

Just as an FYI to anyone who might use Aaron’s Farm Nursery for their trees, I wanted to warn you about their customer service and return policy.

I primarily garden with conifers. But I also enjoy having companion plants intermixed with them. I recently wanted to add a Sourwood tree (Oxydendrum arboreum). No-one locally carried the tree so I found a supplier online named Aaron’s Farm. They weren’t one of the big nursery suppliers as was evidenced by their inventory list but their pricing looked really good. So I ordered a 6-7’ tree from them for spring delivery. Nice price…only $80 dollars shipped.

I read their replacement warranty and was concerned from the beginning. But in my experience I lose very few traditional trees. So I ordered it anyway. They include in their warranty that if you do not let them prune the tree by 30% prior to shipping they will not guarantee the tree.

Well again, I lose very few regular trees and I didn’t want my 7’ tree cut down to a 5’ tree so I requested they not prune it. I received the tree on time but saw immediately the box was small. When I opened it I found a 52” stick, 4-5” of which was a small branch Y at the top. I looked at the packing slip and my request to NOT prune the tree was right on the slip and had even been highlighted with a marker by someone. But they did it anyway. I emailed them immediately and expressed my frustration but at the same time acknowledged that at least now it would be guaranteed. I received no reply.

When I got ready to plant the tree I unwrapped the large paper wad at the base and was surprised there were no fibrous roots at all, only a couple of major anchor roots. I planted it to the original crown, mulched the base to 1-2” away from the trunk, watered it in and then wrote a second email again expressing concern there were no fibrous water roots on the tree. And now I have a real concern because our hot summer temps are not that far away. Again I received no reply.

So now I’m just kind of ticked off but thought if the tree buds out then I won’t have to worry about it and I’ll just move on. Well time has marched on and it is a dead stick. So I went back to review the details again of their return policy and it is as follows:

1) First you have to fill out a return authorization request for the tree. It can only be sent in after the growing season. Then if approved you can return it

2) If approved they want the tree packed in the original box with a copy of the original order and packing slip. That means you have to keep any box of something you order from them in anticipation of returning it. Freight to return the dead stick in that large a box will cost me as an individual probably $15 or so dollars.

3) And finally they want you to enclose a check for a minimum of either $20 or 20% of the purchase price, whichever is largest to cover shipping on the replacement tree. So now I have $35 more dollars invested in getting my dead tree replaced.

So they want me to pay half the original purchase price to get something replaced they shipped incorrectly to begin with, and they shipped dead. I don’t think so. So if you’re thinking of using Aaron’s for your next tree or shrub order, keep these facts in mind.

Comments (4)

• j0nd03
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your #1 problem (as far as tree survival is concerned) was ordering such a large sourwood! These babies need root pruning pots and need to be transplanted even smaller than yours in our climate if not from seed in their permanent location. I have killed... oh let's see... 4 so far. The two that I have had success with were purchased as dormant 3' bare roots which I immediately root pruned and potted in a rootmaker pot for 1 growing season. Planted them out the following fall of 2012. They are alive and doing ok so far this year.

Basically, your complaints about their root system is just a typical feature of sourwoods. They have large singular roots with comparatively few feeder roots that branch out from the root collar randomly. If there was a root system opposite to maple roots, it would be the sourwood root system. In other words, it is hard to place the blame solely on your source for the tree dying because the things are just so damn finicky!

As for the company you dealt with on this order, they sound about as shady as a closet in a black hole. They obviously don't read their own notes and do not want to discuss complaints/questions from their customers. Try soonerplantfarms for an in state source that uses root pruning techniques on all of their stock now. They also, sometimes, carry sourwood.

Sorry for your loss. I would eat the $80 and not screw around with any "replacements" they offered. Doesn't sound like you are going to get a response anyways. Maybe contact the BBB? And do visit GardenWatchDog and leave a lovely review of your experience. This will reach more people than this topic alone =)

John

Edit: Whoops! Is Aaron's Farm Nursery another front for TyTy?

Can't include a link because it belong's to "that other site". Regardless, you are far from the only one to have problems with them... After discovering they are TyTy, your #1 problem was probably them to begin with. I rescind my opening comment.

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 13:40

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Uh-huh. One of TyTy's alternate monikers.
    Cut your losses and chalk it up to experience. You're not the first person to pay 'stupid tax' ordering from the folks at TyTy - been there, done that, had the dead sticks to prove it.
    That's been their 'return policy' for more than 20 years - kind of cumbersome and off-putting, isn't it?

If you want some commiseration, just do a search of this site for TyTy - you'll find lengthy threads from folks who've dealt with them - some with posts from folks from the nursery itself, who logged on to post incredible glowing reports, 180 degrees from the experiences of the majority.

Here is a link that might be useful: forum search

This post was edited by lucky_p on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:37

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

That is getting to be a pretty penny though! The box stipulation is pretty ridiculous I agree. I have a locally bought sourwood just hanging on by a thread so maybe they are difficult transplants.

Take this from a guy who still emails a certain auto repair chain a decade after they tried to stick it to me, sometime it is just better to walk away. Well, after leaving a negative bbb review :). There is soo much time involved in our hobby waiting for things to ship or leaf you are better off finding a better source.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

How is that nursery (TyTy) still in business?