Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acer_gw

How slow does it grow? (Chalk maple)

acer
9 years ago

Still thinking about planting a chalk maple (Acer leucoderme) on a nice sandy loam river bottom site in full sun, zone 7. But I'd like at least a "medium" growth rate. I know the drawbacks of fast-growing trees and I'm not looking for that. What kind of growth can one expect from a chalk maple?

Comments (8)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Pretty slow at my mom's in Houston. Then again, it may vary tree to tree and where they came from.

There's nothing wrong with fast growing trees like some oaks, Montezuma cypress, Lacebark elm, to name a few.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I believe that some posters have seen pretty fast growth from Chalk Maple.

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

I got 2'+ out of my young 4-5 year old tree last year. Then it froze to the ground this winter in my zone 7b. Florida seed source.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

There was a couple near-mature wild chalk maples in mountainous SW Va I discovered, so the northern-endemic ones can take z6 winters. Those showed reasonable growth-rates.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    9 years ago

I planted one this past winter, but it hasn't really grown much this year. Probably one of those "first year sleep, second year leap" kind of things, just like my Southern Sugar Maples.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Acer, assuming you are skipping one of the acer rubrum clones would metasequoia or taxodium be a possibility? Metasequoia especially has a good reputation for a fast growing tree.

• arktrees
    9 years ago

Acer,
    We have two Chalk Maples out in FULL BLAZING SUN in crappy soil, with LOTS of weeds/wildflowers around competing. Even with those less than ideal conditions they are growing 1-2' per year. I do give them a little water in the hottest driest weather, but that is because of the amount of competition. IN good soil, I would expect a fairly consistent 2'+/year IMHO. Both of our Chalk Maple weathered -6F on two occasions, and probable 4-5 other sub-zero nights, with LOTS of wind in between. NO ISSUES AT ALL with either of them. One tree came from Pine Ridge Garden Nursery here in Arkansas (I don't know the seed source but I assume Arkansas), and the other came from Mail Order Natives in Lee Florida (same as John's).

FTR, I also get very good growth out of Acer griseum and Acer triflorum. Much better than is stated in the literature. Both are also in full sun. I'm left to assume it's due to my climate being similar to their native lands.

IMHO, you would seem to have a site near ideal for all of the above species, and likely to be rewarded with surprising vigor. Barring just getting "one of those trees" of course. But then I'm a sucker for all of the above.

One suggestion to consider. If you do go the Chalk route, you might consider planting two trees very near to one another. Being seed grown, they will vary in fall color, and it can be a nice effect to have two trees with varying color growing together. Have seen this with wild Sugar Maple many times and it can be stunning.

Arktrees

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    9 years ago

What about Yellow Buckeye? They seem to grow pretty good up in your area.