Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristie73

Save tree to straighten?

kristie73
10 years ago

We have a young Northern Red Oak tree planted at the sidewalk/street area. The city planted it. We had some high winds a few years ago and the tree bent a little and it's bending into the street. We have been trying to straighten it with a large stake and wire tightening it, etc. It needs more and I'm not sure. It's also has some trunk bark damage and so I'm afraid another gusty wind will just snap it. It's blooming good with leaves so I know it's alive. I'll post a pictures later. How do you best straighten a tree? We can't really stake a rope to pull it far back from the street because it will cross the sidewalk?

Comments (9)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

You can prune the top back and encourage a new leader or get creative with your stake by placing it closer to the tree. I guess driving it in might damage a root or two but it is better than losing a whole tree you seem to like.

Neat that you are looking to take care of a tree like that. Can you post a picture? That might help visualize the situation.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the bark damage is very problematic.. and might make pulling it back moot ... we need a pic of that also ...

oak is very hard wood.. you really arent going to pull it back.. depending on size ... which you havent told us ...

have you talked to the city ... if you dig it out.. will they get you another???

lets see those pix ...

and frankly.. if we say its a lost cause.. will you get rid of it???

ken

ps: we want to also see the trunk/soil interface... if its been telephone poled at planting.. and that is causing the bark damage.. its a goner .. prep yourself for that ... can you see the root flare at soil level????

• kristie73
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one picture. I'll take a closer picture later.

10 years ago

i have never seen it before.. but i swear that stake is causing the bowing toward the stake ...

why is the lawn brown there??? .. evidence of drought .... ??? .. perhaps last season ..???

ken

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

I guess they have to recommend some kind of tree in what would otherwise be a treeless arid plain, but is northern oak really that water-wise?

• terrene
    10 years ago

Yeah it's a bit crooked, but it doesn't look so bad to me. It does look like it's bending where it's staked. It's a young tree and thus has flexible "bones" so if the tree takes root there and is a vigorous grower it will straighten up over the years via apical dominance.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Agree with terrene

10 years ago

i agree also..

if it makes it to a foot thick trunk... it will be straight...

and i would get rid of the stake.. its useless...

and if it breaks.. so be it.. we can replace it with a better tree.. and a better plant ...

ken

• RugbyHukr
    10 years ago

Stakes are to keep a tree upright until the roots develop enough to support the tree by themselves. Stakes should not be used to "pull" a tree straight. It should have been planted straight in the beginning.

Stakes should be tied by rubbers to the tree loosely. Allowing the tree to move in the wind (which aids in root development) without blowing over enough to break or dislodge the roots.

This being said, if you have a tree that has an established root system, but is growing crooked you can trim the tree to an upright habit or stake the high part. This staking will be to coerce an upright leader and will be very different from the establishment staking.

I suggest researching the topic or taking a class from the local extension service or local arborist.

P.S. clear a 2 foot ring around the tree and mulch the area. The tree will triple its growth rate and become more vigorous.