Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pittsfordnygardener

Vines killing my sapling Chestnut Oak

A couple years ago I planted a young Chestnut Oak among some vines (left side of picture). I have always known that these vines can kill a tree by climbing them. And I have been careful to watch that they did not get around the trunk. In the years past the tree has looked healthy.

This year I am noticing the leaves are not deep green, compared to a similar one (right side of picture). I suspect that maybe the vines are attacking the root system.

Is it true that these vines can kills a young tree by attacking the roots?

I have since pulled the entire vine, roots and all, for a 2 foot diameter around the tree. Not sure if this will save it or not.

Comments (14)

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Vines will not 'attack' roots but vines, or indeed any neighbouring plant, can compete for nutrients in the ground. It would be useful to know exactly what these vines are. I can't actually see any in your picture, but a closer view would be helpful. Is that ivy on the ground?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

It looks chlorotic.

My best guess is that this is a species adapted to acidic soil, planted in alkaline/neutral soil. Not a good combination for a tree.

Do you know your soil pH?

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

yeah I agree with mad_gallica, its chlorotic. You might be able to save it...add some sulphur to lower the pH

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Carefully check the trunk, especially near the ground, for hard-to-see cracking or damage.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

My money's on chlorosis, too. Although Chestnut oak isn't as sensitive to high pH, is it? Or am I thinking of Chinkapin oak, I get them confused.

OP, have you done a soil test?

• pittsfordnygardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@flora_uk

Here is a picture of the vine. I will get a pH reading too.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Yes, that is Hedera helix, Ivy to me, English Ivy to you. Much disliked by many in the US, I believe. It is unlikely to attempt to climb such a small tree but will have a go at larger trees. At the risk of starting a contentious discussion I will state the ivy does not kill trees. It is not parasitic. The only thing it can do is increase the wind resistance of trees in winter or shade parts out. Where it is native it provides a valuable wildlife habitat. Where it is introduced it is a different story. I think most posters here would recommend getting rid of the ivy altogether.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

The important thing to note is that it is a competitor for water and nutrition.

And, as the others said, you should get a soil test to rule out that issue as well.

• lisanti07028
    10 years ago

in my experience, ivy will suck the ground dry and leave nothing for anything else; I say get rid of it if at all possible, or at least get it far away from your oak.

• pittsfordnygardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@flora_uk Really. Not far away I have a three Lilac trees. Two of them the Ivy started to climb. These two looked much more strained than the other which hasn't been climbed: flowers were not as big, lots of dead branches, smaller, less healthy looking leaves. There was a clear difference. So obviously I pulled the vines off. I could definitely see how they attached right into the tree.

One more point about this discussion: this tree was planed about 4 years ago. Why is it only now that it is having problems? Would of thought if it were going to have problems would have been in the 2nd year, when it was much smaller.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Yes, ivy does attach to trees, I don't dispute that, but it does not parasitise them. It is possible that the two lilacs with ivy were already weaker but ivy growing up a small tree/shrub like lilac will not do it much good, in so far as it will compete for nutrients and shade the lilacs, just as any other plant growing up close would. In its natural habitat on mature trees ivy does no harm. But your garden is not its natural habitat.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

The Chlorosis only showed up during either a time of stress or when the tree grew out of its potting soil goodness and into your yard?

Just a theory which obviously is not true if it was planted bare root.

• nandina
    10 years ago

I am very familiar with the OP's town, soils and growing conditions. A soil sample should be collected and taken or sent to the nearest Extention service for a complete analysis. List what you are trying to grow and ask for comments. I would guess, due to the old ivy and shrub growth shown that, to use an old farming expression, the soil is "played out". ie, it needs feeding. You should receive in the mail a printout indicating soil pH and fertilizer recommendations.

Off topic...Give a nod to the old Erie canal which runs through your town for me. Fantastic birding along its shores.

• pittsfordnygardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@nandina. Thanks. On the question of ph test, do those electronic "probe" tools work at all? Are they even worth it? I have one, but it was extremely difficult to get a consistent/accurate reading.

Erie Canal is about 500 feet behind my home!