Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19809283

Weeping Cherry

User
9 years ago

Super cold winter has left lots of damage in our yard. Our 1 yr old weeping cherry had a few leaves on its branches a few weeks ago. New growth has been coming out the trunk -- I keep pinching it off hoping to force growth at top. Now nothing looks alive at top and new growth continues to come out in six or so places on the trunk.
What do I need to do to keep this tree and get it in good shape again? thanks....

Comments (7)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Can you post a picture? It is possibly the shoots are coming from below the graft.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is.

{{!gwi}}

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Yep. The weeping portion (grafted) is toast - all the growth is coming from the rootstock. You might as well go ahead and get rid of it - it is never going to provide the look you were going for originally nor will it regain any sort of attractive appearance. And any flowers will be very different as well.

There are exceptions to the rule but 9 out of 10 weeping cherries I see look awful. In my climate, it's somewhat expected as Prunus as a genus overall suffers from a huge range of problems, many aggravated by climate. But even without climatic stressors, these tend to be not very long-lived trees and nearly always will produce aggressive growth from the rootstock that can overwhelm the grafted weeping portion unless promptly removed.

For the marginal two weeks of flowering one may get from these plants in their best years, it hardly seems worth it. I can't figure out why nurseries keep growing and selling these dogs when there are so many other better choices.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks...that's what I was afraid I would hear. Thinking I may plant a crepe myrtle there -- trimming the lower branches, so it is tree-like.
    We had a crabapple there initially and it lasted a few years then got bugs. Something's got to be able to make it! :D
    thanks again.....

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

bugs rarely kill trees ... and you are now oh for two ...

winter may have been the final blow ... but there are many other variables to success with planting trees and shrubs ...

WHEN its planted is very important... and mid summer is NOT good ...

planting in native soil with no amendments is best ...

and most important.. PROPER WATERING ... is imperative ...

why this tree did not make it thru.. at worst.. a z6 winter.. is mystifying ... on some level ... there are plenty around my z5 MI.. that had a z4 winter.. that dont look half that bad ... and thats not to say they look great.. lol ...

so all this.. makes me wonder why it was so stressed going into winter.. that winter finished it off ...

whether or not you buy something now... the next BEST time to plant it.. will probably be in fall ... not july/august in MD ... [and gal's a plant witch.. she would plant it in 100 degree weather.. and get it to live ... ALWAYS ... lol ... but to be clear.. you dont live in the PNW]

see link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I see very few good looking weeping cherries also. Some of it's climate related, as Gardengal48 pointed out, but a lot of times it's a case of butcher pruning and poor location, ....not enough room. For some reason people are compelled to put them in a corner thinking they won't get any wider. Butcher pruning speaks for itself.
    Mike...not a cherry on the place.