Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerryp_gw

Thuja Green Giant Help

gerryp
16 years ago

I'm new here, and tried the search thing, so I apologize if this has already been addressed. I recently planted a 100' hedge of Green Giant Thuja that I got off the web. I spaced them from 3-4 feet apart for the entire length. Just have some questions on frequency of watering, best fertilizer to use, and any other suggestions that would help. Since planting in March, they have grown from about 6" to 12" with some doing better than others. I plan on trimming them into a 6 foot hedge when they get big enough. I have read everything from you can't overwater then in the first year to people that have damaged them from watering too much. I have had success with Miracle Grow in the past, but I have heard that you shoudl wait for a year till you use fertilizer. I am in Norfolk Virginia, so the climate does not get too bad in winter and it rain's a fair bit in the summer. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Gerry P.

Comments (4)

• Dibbit
    16 years ago

Hold off on any fertilizer for a year. If you haven't mulched along the row, do so. The trees will grow a lot better without the competition from grasses and weeds, and the moisture levels will stay more even, plus the likelihood of damage from weedwhackers becomes minimal. You will still have to do some weeding, but a lot less. Mulch as wide as you can, no deeper than 4" and no mulch in the 1-2 in. next to the trunks.

Judge the watering needs by how dry the soil feels, not according to a schedule - which means a little more work on your part. Once a week or so - depending on how hot and windy it's been and how much rain you have had - stick a finger, or a pointed piece of dowel, down into the soil about 2-4". Check in a couple of places along the line of trees. If the soil is still moist, wait to water, and check again in a day or two, depending on how moist it was. Of course, if it's dry, water. You want the equivalent of an inch of water per week, in a slow, deep watering, so the bottoms of the roots are well watered, and encouraged to spread out and grow widely.

If the moisture varies from one place along the line, very dry here and very wet there, water the dry spots. Best would be for conditions to be even all down the line, as that way, you can treat it as a whole, which mulching will help with. Running a soaker hose down the row, so you only have to connect a hose to the one end, and let it run at a slow drip for a few hours, would be the simplest and easiest way to water. You can connect 2 50' sections together, and the pressure should stay pretty much even from one end to the other, as long as the ground isn't especially sloping - if it is, start the line at the high end and let gravity work FOR you - and if it's undulating, try and see if it will work. (Sam's Club, around here, has 2 sections of a soaker hose as a unit for about $12.)

Good luck.

• windclimber
    16 years ago

Probably a post for the shrub forum .... but...
    I planted nine Thuja Occidentalis three years ago and they are absolutly vibrant.
    It is essential that they get about 1" of water per foot of ht per week.
    We purposly planted the row in a runoff portion of the yard. They love wet feet and flourish with lots of water. Don't drown them , once a week if no rainfall.
    I have hit them with fish emulsion since planting. About five gallons of recommended ratio of water to F.E. per plant.
    While they are short get some stretchy green tape and tie the shoots about every three to four feet to each other and then together, especially at the top. You might need a bucket truck later! (grin)
    You will be glad you did when a heavey snow fall or ice storm breaks all the others around and makes them all mutant looking.
    Check for bagworms in very very early spring and pick-em and get rid of them with malice.
    I use a tobacco tea, mouthwash, anti-bacterial soap, hydrogen peroxide, and citrus solution hoseend sprayed all over and under late spring thru summer about once a month for the other critters. Keep mulched and you should be good to go!!
    Tom

• gerryp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dibbit,
    Thanks for the info! Forgot to mention, I was gone for the month of march, so I ran some PVC connected to my well pump down the line of the G.G.'s and had them watered everyday while I was gone. I have cut out watering all together with the pump since I read that you can overwater. Now I only turn it on if it has not rained in a week or so. I'll adjust for your advice now, and mulch around them, then check the soil to water as needed.
    Tom- I'll check the shrub forum. Thanks for the info!
    Gerry P

• noviceinnorfolk
    9 years ago

Gerry P, I am about to plant Thuja as a privacy screen in front of a semi-private wood fence with 2 inch opening between slats. I need the thujas both to hide the fence and to cover the openings. Based on my readings, I was going to plant them exactly every 5 feet, but you planted them every 3 to 4 feet. I too want to plant every 3 to 4 feet for quicker privacy but will that be too close later? I am willing to trim their sides if they get too close together later but what do the experts say? My thujas are 7 gallon (about 6-7 feet at tallest and about 1.5 feet at widest/base), I am not planning any fertilizer, and for 3 weeks plan to water heavily every 3 days, then once a week the rest of this year (unless rains). They will get plenty of sun. I am also in Norfolk, Virginia! Will appreciate any tips