Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbergman_gw

Crape or Crepe Myrtle in Zone 5 Indiana

cbergman
13 years ago

I just came home to Indiana after a trip down to Little Rock AR. I fell in love with the what they called crape myrtle trees. The spelling seems to be different everywhere I look. While down there I checked and found them for sale at good prices but I didn't have the room to get one home.

I have found enough info to be confused about these wonderful trees. Can someone please give me the truth about them. Can they grow here in Indiana into a tree or am I limited to a shrub that will die back to the ground in the winter? The trunks were so smooth and wonderful and one many reasons for my interest.

I also have several big trees and I'm running low on "sunny areas" but I just got to have one of these, even if it means pulling something else out.

There seems to be many varieties and I loved the dark pink ones but I could go red also.. Which ones would be best for a tree not shrub at could take zone 5. Also I can't seem to find them here but I wanted to get a good established one. Where do I go for a good price and size online.

Comments (21)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

link says zones 7 to 9 ....

but it would all depend on your little microclimate.. which might be able to surprise you .. if any ..

at the link.. one nursery also claims to offer CM's that might work in z5 versions...

it would be hard core zone pushing.. which some peeps like.. and others cant handle emotionally ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• musicalperson
    13 years ago

Crapemyrtle is what folks in the south grow because they can't grow lilacs.

Even in arkansas, where you saw them, I'd imagine there are issues with dieback in colder winters on many varieties.

For you it'll just be a high maintenance suckering shrub. Needs a hot humid climate to thrive.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

I have a "Dynamite" in zone6 St. Louis.

My wife loved it, and the fella does look pretty good in late summer when it blooms.

Of course it dies back a few feet every winter then resprouts.

Any cold hardy Viburnums?

• gardener365
    13 years ago

The hardiest ones reportedly are the hybrids (indica x faurei) so start there. Don't waste your time with pure indicas.

They'll die-back to the ground each year but they bloom on current seasons growth. Clerodendron trichotomum I'm growing this way, right now.

Dax

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Can they grow here in Indiana into a tree or am I limited to a shrub that will die back to the ground in the winter?

Likely the latter without ideal microclimate.

Dan

• musicalperson
    13 years ago

and that microclimate would be one that's enclosed by glass and heated when the temps dip below 10 degrees.

• dianasan
    13 years ago

I have a crape myrtle which is now blooming and I'm in US zone 4; however, mine is planted in a container which I overwinter in a cool, dark garage.

Crape myrtles may be overplanted and ubiquitous in southern landscapes, but not in our zone. Growing it in a container is more labor intensive than having it in the ground, but it's worth the trouble because it is a beautiful tree and the blossoms are so different than the other flowers in my garden.

Mine was a cutting someone brought back from a visit to Venezuela about 15 years ago, but if I had room in my garden, I would buy one of the hardier hybrids and plant it in a sheltered location.

• denninmi
    13 years ago

I've had some in-ground C.M.'s for about 10 years. They always die back to the roots, and almost never bloom -- generally, they have buds late in the season that almost never open. This year is a first, they are actually blooming thanks to our record setting heat this spring and summer. I do enjoy the foliage, glossy and pretty.

I also have 5 of them potted. I overwinter these in the cool, dark unused family room. They are blooming beautifully and I think it's well worth the little bit of effort to tote them in and out and water them once in a while in the winter.

• poaky1
    13 years ago

I can sympathize, I tried a zone 7+ tree Quercus virginiana in zone 6,lots of branch dieback, I just had to try it before I could except that it won't make it here.

• bobby1973
    13 years ago

go ahead and give it a shot if you like it that much. about 3 years ago, right around this time of the summer, i posted a very similar message on this forum as i too loved the appearance of crepe myrtles. but being that i live in northeast new jersey, i was apprehensive about its chance of survival. the majority of responders wrote similar responses to the ones on this thread. but no matter what people said, i still had to give it a try. i drove all the way down to delaware in late august, which is a great time because nurseries offer huge discounts this time of year. i didn't bother buying a 2-3' tree in a container. i went with 6-7' b&b. i think i paid $200, and it was buy 1, get the 2nd free. so i drove away with the white 'nachez' and the dark pink variety. 3 years later, not only are they alive and blooming, but they never died back to the ground like the majority of people said. of course, that's not a guarantee that it will do the same in your neck of the woods. but again, being that garden centers slash prices big time this time of year, i think it's worth the effort on your part - especially if you like the tree that much.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Bobby,

You spent $200 for a 6'-7' large-variety crape myrtle? That seems exorbitant.

You'd have probably been better off with the 2'-3' version. It would have experienced less transplant shock, developed a better root system, and would have probably caught up with or overtook the larger ones by now.

• maza6188
    12 years ago

I think Natchez (white) survives zone 5.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Maza,

Have you seen the National Arboretum's data sheet (linked below) on their introduction? What do you base your suggestion on?

Here is a link that might be useful: US Arboretum's Datasheet on 'Natchez'

• ademink
    12 years ago

I can speak from experience...right here in good ol' Indiana. It will act as a true die-back shrub...and die back forever.

You'll see it sold in the big box stores and touted as hardy (actually this is the first year I haven't seen it...they must've had too many complaints).

I purchased three when they were on clearance.....I'll give something a chance a few times if I'm interested. :)

Third time was the charm. Buh-bye CRAP myrtle. LOL

• gregnga
    11 years ago

My sympathies. I am from Indiana and I also fell in love with Crape Myrtles when I moved to Atlanta, GA years ago. I have 4 different varieties in my yard. I don't know what I would do if I had to live somewhee where I couldn't have Myrtle trees.

• User
    11 years ago

I love crape myrtles but frankly, I think they will die back to the ground in Zone 5. They are hardy down to Zone 7/6b, and the hybrids which are hardier and no less colorfully probably will handle 6a as long as summers are HOT. I developed a minor addiction to collecting the various varieties. They are not as overplanted here as in the South but do seem to be getting more popular. The one in the picture below is Dynamite. Purchased last year at HD in a small container for all of $6.99 not including sales tax. What's not to love?! Why not grow in a container if not in he ground. Pot will have to be protected though from deep cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:270672}}

• Greg Wikle
    6 years ago

I also have a Dynamite Crape Myrtle in my yard. I love that color of red. I also have 2 Red Rockets. Which are very similar in color to Dynamite

• User
    6 years ago

Last year, my Dynamites suffered from MILDEW big time. It was a VERY HUMID and not so sunny Summer, so I think it was environmental induced (however, I believe Dynamites are relatively mildew resistant).

Winter 2017 cooked one one of my Hopi Crepes after a bizarrely WARM February alternating with cold, so the trunk split on a large tree. I had replaced the Hopi only to find that the original plant came back from the roots (so now I have two). After seeing your post, I think I will work on doing some pruning on the Crepe collection tomorrow. Over the years, you get to accept what Mother Nature throws our way!

• HU-909966390
    4 years ago

I realize I am about 9 years too late, and I don't know whether you've already tried growing crape myrtles, but just came across your question. I am a transplant from Texas currently living in the Indy area (zone 6) and missed my crape myrtles more than any other tree/shrub. I doubt you'll ever be able to grow a tree, but I have been successfully growing several varieties in the ground since 2013, even with below zero temps we had this past winter. I did lose a few early on, but once established, they have done very well, even during drought conditions. You MUST have full sun, and southern exposure is best. I wouldn't bother with eastern or northern exposure. I The key to getting them to come back every year is to cut back to about 8-10 inches in fall after blooming then mulch the heck out of them (at least 6 inches) Around mid April, I pull back the mulch and let sun get to the root area. You may not see any sign of growth return until May or June, especially the first few years, but one day you'll check on them and be excited to see leaves sprouting. Once that happens, they grow quickly. Mine start blooming late June to early July. Other than that, they are very low maintenance. The only watering they get is when it rains, and I've never had a problem with insects or diseases. Bees love them. I forget to fertilize, yet they still bloom profusely.

Three of the varieties I grow are supposedly miniatures (Mardi Gras, New Orleans, & Cordon Bleu), but they get pretty big by the end of the summer. I also grow a shrub type Purple Velvet which grows to 3-4 feet tall each year.

I purchased them at

https://www.crapemyrtle.com/store/c2/Miniature_Crape_Myrtles.html

They are a little pricey, but worth it, in my opinion. You can call customer service to see what they say about growing in zone 5. If nothing else, you can grow one in a pot and bring it inside, but that's more work than I want to deal with.

Follow planting instructions for best success.

Hope you find this helpful, and I wish you great success. ️

• poaky1
    4 years ago

Hey Hu, I was unaware that you are NOW in zone 6a. I had thought that you were still in Texas with that nice biggish Q. Virginiana in your yard. Sorry, I don't remember all the details about everyone, even the folks that I read comments from pretty regularly on GW tree forum. So, you are in zone 6a, and growing a Q. Fusiformis? Again, sorry, I hadn't recalled that you had moved from Texas. I kinda recall that you are zone 6a or 6b, BUT,. I hadn't realized you moved from Texas til now. I am going to try and look on the QMLO thread.

As far as the Crepe Myrtles, I want one that will grow into a tree height shrub, so, I have realized that won' t happen, so, I have a "Seven son Flower" shrub, I tried a new kind that blooms 2 times a year, BUT, it died and I had to seek a refund from the seller. SO, I have 1 Seven son Flower. it gets the nice bark like a Crepe Myrtle, and has nice white Blooms on it in spring. I want to get another one, BUT, it isn't easy to find, not even by mail order,so, I will have to wait and maybe get one next spring. The Crepes that will be okay in zone 6 are all small, and I am NOT a fan of the little ones. Later, HU.