Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxsen11

Help on what kind of trees these are and the value

Jaxsen11
10 years ago

I had a company over yesterday clearing out my whole backyard. I have and inground pool and the rest was filled with trees and bushes. Now its a pool and dirt waiting for grass seed. I bought this house end on April. The previous owners put in 30k in landscaping, lots of high dollar maples, willows, cherries, ect. Was wondering if anyone knew much about the trees I posted a pic of. The guy in charge yesterday told me I have extremely expensive trees in my front yard. I am thinking of selling a few because there are just to many. Any help would be great, thanks!

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey

i have no clue why you would remove those conifers ... what??.. you want to look at the ugly fence and garage???

your only market is some large nursery.. with a very large tree spade.. who has an instant buyer ...

the value is limited to such ...

these arent the kind of plants some guy is going to dig out.. and stuff in the back of his yugo ...

with the setting sun and the sideways pic.. my guess is weeping Alaskan cedar ... which currently has a bunch of names.. along the lines of Chamacyparis nootkatensis 'pendula' ... or some such spelling ...

good luck

ken

• RugbyHukr
    10 years ago

Chamaecyparis nookatensis?

Here is a link that might be useful: weeping cedar

• calliope
    10 years ago

Is trying to sell your landscape trees a new trend? I'm not being snide I just have never seen so many questions about it on the forum before. I suspect that over the years people have seen a lot of questions about tree values, mostly in regard to damages for illegally removed trees or those damaged in accidents. The answer to those questions are yes.....a tree can be very valuable but that value relates to the owner, not a buyer. They're valuable because they can take decades or lifetimes to produce, and replacing them with similarly sized stock requires massive equipment (like tree spades) and a lot of know-how. I'm sort of dreading asking what was 'cleared out' of the back yard out of that 30K landscape. ;-)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Nice trees btw

• calliope
    10 years ago

They are beautiful.

• lucillle
    10 years ago

Why not consult a tree expert- not necessarily a tree trimmer, but someone who maybe runs a nursery or tree company.
    I'm thinking that if someone spends $30,000 on landscaping the mature landscape might have been planned, and maybe there aren't really too many trees.
    Of course it is your house and your preferences might differ from the previous owner, I understand that, but perhaps the expert could give you different perspectives to consider.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

but.. the question is NOT what they are worth..

the question is.. WHAT WILL SOMEONE PAY FOR THEM ...

ken

• nyboy
    10 years ago

On criagslist here are ads for weeping maples from $1,800 to $3,000 you dig up and fill hole.The ads have been up for months.

• buckeye15
    10 years ago

Now is not the time to dig and sell those Alaskan Cedars. But that is okay. It will take you a while to call the Ohio Dept of Agriculture, get the inspector out, and pay for and receive your nursery license, to make it legal for you to sell them.

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

Beautiful trees.

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

You could make more money if you just took cuttings from them and rooted them...that is if they don't have a patent of course....your return would be greater overall. More people would be willing to buy a young reasonably priced tree than a huge expensive one.

• famartin
    10 years ago

Economy sucks these days, I guess lots of people are looking for a way to get extra $$$.

This post was edited by famartin on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 5:19

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

These are lovely trees indeed, but I understand that not everybody likes nice trees in their backyard. One idea, if you don't like them, might be to remove all the branches and use the trunks as flagpoles.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists