What kind of caterpillars?

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 13:43

photo photo1-4.jpg

photo photo2-4.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of caterpillars?

The first is a stick caterpillar -- just doing its thing, pretending to be a stick. ("Please ignore me: I'm a twig. Just lying here defying gravity on the underside of this leaf. Not eating it: oh no! I'm innocent; I'm harmless. You can safely turn the leaf right-side up and leave me here.")

Sorry: I can't tell you the exact species.

o

"stick caterpillars" are in the geometridae (inchworm) family, not sure on the species.

I believe the second is a copper underwing.

o

Hello there. My mum's tree is being eaten alive. I was wondering if anyone knows the type of caterpillar, see photo, and maybe a cure? Not sure exactly the tree, might b an oak or similar. This is in Holland too ๐Ÿ˜Š It would be much appreciated

o

sailing.. you should start your own post

and you need to start by IDing the tree ... things such as this can be very tree specific ...

and the bug peeps in the garden clinic forum... might help with the bug ...

ken

o

Thanks ken_adrian that's very helpful I'll pop over to the garden clinic forum ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here