Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treequestionguy123

Dying Tree? Frost Crack? Disease?

I live in a small development in PA and we have a gigantic tree (not sure what kind - possibly an elm - please tell me if you can identify it) on the corner of our property that hasn't progressed since spring. The leaves appear as if they have not grown since then (very tiny), and some are now (June 24th) turning yellow and falling off. I have included many pictures, one of which shows a large crack on the southwestern side of the tree. The crack extends up the trunk for some distance. There are also a few very small dead limbs (two that I count). My neighbor says that it might be Dutch Elm Disease. I see no signs of bugs of any kind inside of the crack. In March, we had a fence installed with a post footed roughly 4 feet from the base of the trunk. Is it a possibility that some of the roots of the tree were augured through? Would that really cause these symptoms? Will a frost crack create the conditions that I am seeing here or is it indeed Dutch Elm Disease? Is there something that I can do to help? Can I treat the crack with something or promote growth in some way? This tree is the center point of our area. It would be a shame if it died.

Comments (9)