Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeschmoe80

bringing some Fire Dragons to OH from TX

joeschmoe80
10 years ago

After doing a lot of research, here and elsewhere, IâÂÂve determined that I MUST have a few âÂÂFire Dragonâ Shantung Maples. While I donâÂÂt âÂÂneedâ them here in Central OH for fall color (we have lots of options) or heat tolerance (we get hot but not like Texas)â¦theyâÂÂre just really cool and unique.

However, only SoonerâÂÂs carries them (except Metro Maples itself) and are always out of stock.

Turns out, I have a business trip in the DFW area at the end of the month. I thought IâÂÂd fly out, but instead of fly home on the company dime, rent a large truck on my own dime, stop over at Metro Maples, pick me up a few plants, load 'em on a truck, and drive them back home to Ohio.

Also, IâÂÂve never attempted to ship in-leaf, containerized plants of a decent size before. I see they have up to 50 gallon Fire Dragons available.

If I get an âÂÂopenâ truck such as a flatbed or large pickup, the poor things will be subject to hot sun and 65 mph winds for 1500 miles. However, IâÂÂm not sure IâÂÂd be able to fit them inside a moving van type vehicle, unless I laid them on their side.

1. Can I lie them on their side? What kind of extra support would you recommend?

2. Am I crazy?

1. Has anyone else ever done this? Driven hundreds of miles with trees they couldnâÂÂt find elsewhere?

Comments (13)

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

THAT is dedication!

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

1. Yes, they will be fine on their side. Just make sure there isn't a sharp angle pressed against the trunks while in transit in the van. You might want to prop them up a tad and bind them so most of the potting media remains where it should be, in the pots. There are several ways you can manipulate the top of the containers to prevent media loss, too. Stuffing wet newspaper on top of the soil if room allows or taping paper around the trunk covering the soil also works.

Since a van would be my choice, it would limit the size of the trees at the time of purchase so no 50 gallon monsters or the like.

2. Yes, you are. If I were in a position financially to do what you propose and I wanted something bad enough, I'd do it in a heartbeat ;-)

3. You will find some hardcore folks over on the conifer forum that do something similar to this multiple times a year!

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

I could imagine such an endeavor costing far more than the cost of the plants.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

yes you are ...

heavy ball upfront.. so when you emergency brake.. the ball hits the front ... have them tie them up ... and just lay them down.. and no two wheeling ont eh way home ....

you can not stop for a 4 hour martini break.. and cook them in a closed truck ... stop where you can leave the doors open ... or in a shaded spot ...

consider NOT planting them until fall ... either placing the pots in shade.. or planting pot and all until proper planting time ... if your soil allows proper drainage of the pot ....

your real downside here.. is basically no warranty ... unless you will drive back ...

call you nearest upscale nursery.. and find out if they will be getting a shipment for fall .. or will order some in for next spring .... EVERYTHING is available this way... and you dont have to rent a truck ... drive.. and have someone local for a warranty ...

actually.. its not as uncommon as you might think ... plant collectors do it all the time ...

there is no reason.. not to lay them down ... get over that part ....

and buy as small as you can ... really.. anything over 8 feet.. is going to be a dice throw .. even if local ... which means you will need nothing more than a van.. or a very small uhaul trailer ....

and do not buy a pot.. bigger than you can handle.. i dont really care if they sell 50 gal pots ... thats too big a tree for transplant ... let alone travel ....

only once in my life.. did i have a plant loaded into the truck.. that i could not get out .. it didnt end up.. a pretty story ... lol ... if you cant hoik it into the truck.. then you cant get it out.. so dont buy it .... [those freaking young studs who loaded it.. didnt come home with the tree..] .... and i bought it in OH.. and brought it to MI ..lol ... [pick up with landau top]

ken

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

That's a good point, Ken...

Joe, you might get a 50-Gallon home, but how the heck are you going to get it out of the truck and in the hole?

A tree that size is going to weigh around 250-500 lbs.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

MrMaple website has Blaine's, Skinny Dragon and Golden Dragon available last time I checked. You can always get Fire Dragon later from Sooner's when it becomes available. I think you can add your email address so they will notify you when they are available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shantung maples

• arktrees
    10 years ago

1. Has been covered, except I would suggest you go pick out your trees first, and take a tape measure so you can see just how much space you will need. I have hauled as many as 18 smaller trees in my small truck with very creative placement, and varying sizes.

2. You one crazy mo fo, but with that said....... (while bowing down) "WERE NOT WORTHY! WERE NOT WORTHY! WERE NOT WORTHY!!!!" ;-) Don't let what others may think stop you from something you love.

3. I've driven some distance, but not like that.

Lastly, Our Fire Dragon is a lone tree, with no other Shantung Maple anywhere. Last year it started bearing seed for the first time, and has set seed again this year. So assuming nothing unusual happens, I should have mature seed in the fall, if you would like to try some from seed as well. And since this is a isolated tree, they will all be self-pollinated, recombining the FD genetics. If you would like some sent to you, then we can probable work something out.

Arktrees

This post was edited by arktrees on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 19:35

• ltruett
    10 years ago

joeschmoe,

I would make sure Metro Maples actually has some Fire Dragons available. According to the website they currently have 10 30 gallon trees available. If you are able to convince the owner to sell you one, try to get a 'Super Dragon' too.

I tried growing a Fire Dragon in Wisconsin but it didn't make it. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Super Dragon

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

I presume these trees would fare pretty well in the Mid-Atlantic, too?

• arktrees
    10 years ago

hairmetal,
    IMHO, they would be fine in your area. Ours survived -25 F in Feb 2010 with only very mild damage. IT has done well, and not displays a nice pink-red fall color pretty consistently. It's not the usual red, but for us at least. I also believe ours is growing slower than they do for MM in Texas. Still not a bad growth rate, just slower than on the MM site. Chinese Pistache does the same thing here, but just 30-40 miles south, 1000 feet lower elevation, and a climate zone warmer, they grow much much faster. I would expect the FD to behave the same.

Arktrees

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Seems the consensus on Shantungs in general is they color VERY late in fall.

Late like an October Glory red maple (typically early Nov. here) or later than that?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

hairmetal, the timing of fall color for shantung maples depends on where you live. Mine colored up during mid-late November in Dallas area. I haven't really considered them to be coloring up that late considering that other trees also colored up around that time.

In Houston, I don't remember when exactly but they colored up in December.

If the weather is right, they can be very nice.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting