Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are those trees with marbled bark and large leaves?

Posted by jujujojo 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 13:54

Picture taken inside Tongji University of Shanghai China.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are those trees with marbled bark and large leaves?

Looks like some kind of plane tree (platanus)

o

aka sycamore ...

pretty bad infestation there.. i bet there is a spray for that.. lol ...

if you plant one.. 20 to 30 years for that bark to develop ...

ken

o

20 to 30 years seem too long. At least the London plane tree develop that bark earlier. I don't know what sycamore species is most likely to find in Shanghai, maybe platanus orientalis

o

i grew up in a mid 1950 subdivision ... in ground freeze MI ... every house on the street had them .. except for ours ... it was missing by the time we moved in the mid 60's ....

i didnt keep track .. but it seems to me.. they didnt start doing the bark thing until the 70's .. or later ..

i do remember the city came around with a truck mounted cannon and shot them for anthracnose ...

FRANKLY.. they are a pretty park tree ... not really suited to a backyard ... the roots lift cement... the hairy dusty seed pods make a mess for weeks in fall ... and the leaves do not compost well ...

sited as in the pic .. i like them... but .. IMHO ... not a backyard tree

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here