Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Tree - ID, please?

Posted by holly_e 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 14:14

We bought a home a couple moths ago. It has a huge tree in the front yard, and we have not yet been able to identify it. I feel like it's some sort of sumac, but it's pretty darn big. The new growth is coming in bright green, with red at the very tip of the leaves. You can't tell from the photo, but the leaves are very slightly serrated, and mature leaves are about 2" - 2.5" long. I haven't seen any flowers or fruit, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. :) The thing that really throws me is the bark - it's fairly smooth and a reddish-brown color. I am attaching one photo, and I can definitely take more if requested.

The top of the foliage is probably 50 feet tall, and the crown spread is about 60 feet.

Also, this thing is propogating itself all over the yard, and it seems to grow fairly quickly. The previous owners had what I thought were two empty containers in front of the house when we looked at it in February, but now they each have these same trees growing in them. They are easily 7 feet tall, but very leggy.

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be shared! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Tree - ID, please?

Osage orange - maclura pomifera? Most have thorns on the branches but not necessarily always. Female trees have large green fruit the size of grapefruits.

A close up of the bark and a twig with leaf shape and arrangement would be most helpful :-)

John

o

Looks kinda 'elm-ish' from this distance.

o

But are those compound leaves? Need a close up of the leaves.

o

Lol I also thought it looked elmish at first and then thought no, it has compound leaves and dismissing both thoughts before making my WAG above lol

We need upclose pics of the leaves and bark!!!

John

o

Don't feel bad, folks. Elmish and OO were both my first reactions. Trunk looks very OO. Tree form looks elmish.
hortster

o

Japanese Zelkova (Zelkova serrata). Search this guy and see if this isn't your tree.

o

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses! Here's a close up of the mature leaves (sorry, only have my iPhone for a camera...). I wanted to take a photo of the new growth, but it's all so high up on the tree that my phone fails to take a decent pic. I am thinking that the Japanese Zelkova may be a strong possibility though - thanks!!

I'll try to get a halfway decent photo of the bark this evening.

This post was edited by holly_e on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 13:28

o

It does not look like zelkova to me, but more like some kind of willow

o

Chinese elm

This post was edited by kuna on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 16:17

o

Definitely 'Drake elm' - Ulmus parvifolia.

o

And not compound leaves after all.

o

And the bark. I'm agreeing with Drake / Chinese elm for sure, now that I looked up images of the bark.

Thanks again, everyone!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here