Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_edmond

Mystery Tree - ID, please?

Holly Edmond
10 years ago

We bought a home a couple moths ago. It has a huge tree in the front yard, and we have not yet been able to identify it. I feel like it's some sort of sumac, but it's pretty darn big. The new growth is coming in bright green, with red at the very tip of the leaves. You can't tell from the photo, but the leaves are very slightly serrated, and mature leaves are about 2" - 2.5" long. I haven't seen any flowers or fruit, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. :) The thing that really throws me is the bark - it's fairly smooth and a reddish-brown color. I am attaching one photo, and I can definitely take more if requested.

The top of the foliage is probably 50 feet tall, and the crown spread is about 60 feet.

Also, this thing is propogating itself all over the yard, and it seems to grow fairly quickly. The previous owners had what I thought were two empty containers in front of the house when we looked at it in February, but now they each have these same trees growing in them. They are easily 7 feet tall, but very leggy.

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be shared! :)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus