Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevecapecod

Is this anthracnose on my kousa dogwood?

stevecapecod
11 years ago

The tree is well established and had a strong bloom this spring, but has developed the leaf curl and spotting shown in the picture attached(if it works). Is it anthracnose? And if so, what can I do about it? Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• gardenapprentice
    11 years ago

It looks like it, but I wouldn't try and jump to conclusions it could be your not watering enough, Kousa's are the most disease resistant of the Cornus (Dogwood) variety

• stevecapecod
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I gave it a good, long watering today. Is there any harm in spraying the tree with a fungicide in case it's anthracnose? And what kind would I use?

• gardenapprentice
    11 years ago

well, yes for the fungicide just go to the home depot and then get a good brand reccomended. Just give it waterings at the base trunk and ground. When it rains, does it take long for it to dry on the leaves? If so, I wouldn't doubt it'd be anthacnose. or borers could've infected your tree exposing the inside bark and it being wet fungus grew and ultimately anthacnose formed. It possibly and likely go away next year. Especially since it being Kousa Dogwood, best of luck to you

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Anthracnose is not actually so much a specific disease as it is a catch-all term for a variety of foliar pathogens. Happens most when foliage has remained wet for long periods of time. No amount of fungicide is going to accomplish anything, BTW. It just doesn't work that way. Even if this is "anthracnose" which it might not be, spraying these materials now will not work.

But first, I'd recommend we acknowledge the fact that there was a lot of freaky weather this spring-much warmer than average, followed by big cold snaps, etc. What we're looking at could even be the result of that. "Tatters", for example, is a term for misshapen leaves that results from a freezing cold episode following warm weather and buds opening up and growing.

If..........if it is anthracnose-like condition, one thing that can help is to rake up and remove all fallen leaves in the fall, burying them in a good, hot compost pile, for instance. I would never personally go this far.....I believe in leaving leaves lie, only chopping them up with the mower. Actually, that practice too can alleviate the problem if it is caused by fungal pathogens. The act of chopping up the leaves causes them to fall down through the turf and decay in a manner that renders any pathogen that was present harmless.

+oM

• MFIX
    11 years ago

Hi all,

I just planted a Kousa dogwood (labelled "Samaritan") and just wondered if anyone knew what to do, or what not to do, if some of the leaves are reddish brown. I assume its being underwatered, because the leaves feel a little crispy. This tree is in a full sun environment, but the leaves are variegated, so I am worried that it should have shade, but I have no where else to put it. Any thoughts?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Anthracnose is not actually so much a specific disease as it is a catch-all term for a variety of foliar pathogens

Not sure I'd agree with that comment......nor would a whole bunch of plant pathologists, either :)) Dogwood anthracnose IS a specific disease - a fungal pathogen known as Discula destructiva. However, there are a lot of fungal issues that can affect dogwoods that are not as serious as anthracnose, including any number of leaf spots (ie. leaf spot anthracnose), as well as the aforementioned issues with weather or even wind damage. Since dogwood anthracnose is carried from year to year on both bark and stems as well as leaves and eventually becomes systemic to the plant, just cleaning up and/or composting leaves is not going to have much effect.

Having said all that, those leaves do not look to me like anthracnose. And using a fungicide now will not alleviate the situation regardless.

MFIX, arrange some sort of shade to protect your new tree on at least a temporary basis for this summer. A part shade location is really ideal but it will eventually tolerate the full sun. Be prepared to experience some early coloration of the foliage on an ongoing basis if this is the case. Light, creamy colored foliage can redden in full sun pretty easily.

• stevecapecod
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If fungicide won't do anything now, what shall I do? I drenched it with water a few days ago. The leaves seem a bit perkier, so maybe that was an issue. BTW, my dogwood gets full sun all day. Many in our neighborhood do also, and they do fantastically well. BTW, I appreciate all the responses. Very helpful.

• MFIX
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I dont think I have any way of arranging temporary shade, though. Does anyone have any recommendations on the watering schedule for this newly planted kousa dogwood? Right now, I am watering every other day, especially because we have had very little rain. I have the black plastic landscape border around the tree, so I water until a see it welling up outside the wall, then go water something else, and return for another round. Is this a decent watering schedule? Thanks in advance.

• MFIX
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I dont think I have any way of arranging temporary shade, though. Does anyone have any recommendations on the watering schedule for this newly planted kousa dogwood? Right now, I am watering every other day, especially because we have had very little rain. I have the black plastic landscape border around the tree, so I water until a see it welling up outside the wall, then go water something else, and return for another round. Is this a decent watering schedule? Thanks in advance.

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

Hello! I'm also having a problem like this. (apologies for the semi-hijack) I have a young (5 year) Kousa Dogwood that a random lawn guy says has the Anthracnose fungus. We're in Northern Virginia. The weather has been blistering more than usual. He says he can treat it with a fungicide but I would rather have some good advice from here before we do anything.

Whole tree:
    {{gwi:372387}}From Tree anthracnose issue -Hosta too?

Close-up:
    {{gwi:372388}}From Tree anthracnose issue -Hosta too?
    {{gwi:372389}}From Tree anthracnose issue -Hosta too?

This is my first query to Garden Web. (I'm a Kitchen Forum interloper) so please be gentle!
    Thank you!
    Deborah

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

Actually, it's an 8 year old tree!

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

Can anyone help please?

• botann
    11 years ago

It looks like it's a little low on water as well as maybe having some sort of fungal disease.
    It looks like the damage is predominately on the sunny side where the lawn is patchy and dry. Maybe a little water on that side will help it from being damaged further. I'd do a soaker hose or a sprinkler on low to keep the foliage dry.
    Mike

• Flower_Beginner
    10 years ago

I HAD a beautiful dogwood in my front yard. Last spring it bloomed beautifully and was doing well. Around fall, I noticed dark-brown/purple spots on the leaves right before they started falling and then one branch completely died. I originally though it was Septoria Leafspot and immediately removed all the leaves I could find with signs of it. I went down to the local garden store and bought a fungicide and treated it according to the directions. By spring of this year, my poor dogwood was dead. Later I was told by the guy that removed it, that several ornamental trees had died recently in the area and he thought it was anthracnose. My word of advice is to speak to a knowledgeable arborist before you possibly lose your tree if you think it has anthracnose. It killed my tree in 12 months.