Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klthompson1004

Looking for an alternative to "italian" cypress

klthompson1004
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the forum. Thanks for being so friendly thusfar! We bought our home about 2 years ago and because our lot slanted, our back porch is raised about 4 1/2 feet off the ground. As a result, we can see right into our neighbor's yard. They're nice people but my 2 year old doesn't always understand privacy and I feel bad.

There is an area between the porch and the fence that I would say is about 5 feet wide and 12-14 feet long. I would like to still be able to see through but afford some privacy.

My first thought was to do "italian" cypress, and then do sort of a river bed look down there, maybe have some river rock meandering. But in reading, these trees get too tall and didn't seem the ideal choice. I looked at some similar varieties but they either couldn't handle the TX heat or grew too slowly, etc. I also looked at Juniper but saw mixed reviews.

Can one of you experts make a recommendation? I would need something with roots that don't spread too much, given proximity to the foundation and that we have a sprinkler system. Tall, but we have a one story home so I don't want to dwarf if. Slender and does well in South TX with clay in the soil. I don't mind watering frequently while it gets established. It's also only partial sun, not full. I do like the look of maybe doing 2 or 3 evergreens.

Am I just wishful thinking here? Or is there something that might be ideal?

Comments (4)