Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak Seedling?

Posted by ghostlyvision 8b/9a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 14:42

I found this sprouting up in a potato vine bed, is it an oak seedling? If yes, any clue what kind of oak? If someone says a red variety that does well in SE Texas I may kiss the screen, but I'd be satisfied with anything except a live or post oak. ;)

Hope it's not just a weed.

photo oakseedling2sm-1.jpg

photo oakseedling1sm-1.jpg

Thanks much for your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak Seedling?

its in the red oak family but I cannot pinpoint the exact species you can rule out post or live since those are white oaks....

o

Woohoo, thanks greenthumbzsdude! kisskiss :D

o

I agree with thumbz. Too early to know species ID for certain but definitely a red oak of some sort. The bristles on the leaf tips give it away.

Don't forget, I have a blackgum seedling or two with your name on them this fall ;) - I will also have some quercus alba and coccinea two year olds you can have it you want them.

Disclaimer - rabbits have eaten half of my blackgum inventory, all of my baby maples and a couple oaks. Hopefully there are a few left by the fall.

John

o

Neat-o Jon, I'll bookmark this thread and add pics as it grows and see if we can figure out which it is.

Goodness, I almost forgot about the blackgum, I'll send you a mail with my address near the end of the summer, I'd love to give that tree a try. I have two that have to go once smaller trees are able to provide some shade so I'm nurserying for whatever likes it here and think they want to take over for the bad tree (tallow) and live oak (too close to the house).

Thanks again Jon. :) Sorry about the rabbit damage, we have squirrels that keep us on our toes. :(

o

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/compare-oaks.htm

o

Man, the harder I look at those pics the less convinced I am that there are bristles on the leaf tips...

o

i think resin told me years ago.. 3 to 5 years.. if not more.. before a seedling will start showing a mature ID'able leaf form ...

we can all guess... but until such.. its only guessing ....

though apparently we can drive jon doe insane trying.. lol ..

ken

o

LOL I'll be patient until it reveals its true self, Hopefully its true colors will be red oak. ;)

Thanks for the link SJ, I'll check it out.

o

• Posted by jqpublic 7b/8a Wake County NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 0:40

Nuttall Oak?

o

Overcup oak leaves can superficially resemble a red oak at times.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here