Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Birch Trees Removed -- Root Problem

Posted by moschata SF Bay Area 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 14:55

I had three large (30'+) dying birch trees removed from my front yard and then had the stumps ground. I then removed all the turf and to my dismay the entire front yard is a maze of fibrous roots on the soil surface and probably farther down as well. I can't proceed ahead with rototilling until the roots are gone.

Any idea how far down and extensive birch roots are?

What's the easiest way to rid my soil of roots? Some friends suggested hiring day laborers and have them do it manually. Another friend suggested using an excavator or backhoe. I'm a little leery of the later as the water and gas lines run under the former lawn to my house (not sure how deep they're buried).

I would appreciate any insights you all can provide.

Thanks in advance... kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Birch Trees Removed -- Root Problem

Are the roots all at the surface or something? Why are you rototilling?

o

Its part of the cycle to let the dead roots rot and refresh your soil. Might save on some chemical fertilizer in the future.

o

to my dismay the entire front yard is a maze of fibrous roots on the soil surface and probably farther down as well.

Not sure why this is dismaying as this is exactly what one should expect.

Nonetheless, a 30' tree, depending where you are and your soil type and the past watering regime and the area and the climate, I would expect roots out in a 35-45' radius and down anywhere from 6-18". Not sure why you would want to pay to remove roots when they will rot down all by themselves with no effort.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here