Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree dropping yellow 'flowers'

Posted by scottmar nj (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 15:01

I am tree-challenged. I know nothing about them. But three large trees on the side of our house have thousands (no, billions) of small 'crowns' or 'flowers' hanging upside-down from the leaves ready to attack us with help from the wind. They drop at a fast rate, and get all over everything. Not dust, but little crowns with a stem. Our shoes crush them and invite them to meet our carpets, and we seem to be the only ones within many blocks to have such trees. (Need directions to our house? Follow the yellow-crown road!)
What are they, is there anything I can do, and do they make barbecued food taste better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree dropping yellow 'flowers'

How about a picture?

o

I'm also computer-picture challenged...don't know how to do that. But if it's any help, the crown looks like a small fleur-de-lis symbol...well, sort of. More like a crown with a stem.

o

Golden Rain Tree?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

This post was edited by DeClercq on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 19:44

o

@DeClercq

The photo link you provided is of the Golden Chain Tree, not the Golden Rain Tree. I agree though, likely Golden Rain Tree.

o

How did a tree native to eastern Asia get on my block? No, looking at the pictures, that's not it. It looks like a regular oak like on any American street. And BTW, I didn't mention that last year, black bumblebees tried to feast on these crowns, and we had a load of dead bumblebees to clear away after a few days.

o

Are they lindens? If so, these fragrant flowers are beloved of bees, so I am not sure why they caused so many bumblebees to die?

o

Tulip tree? Are they blooming yet? Liriodendron Tulipfera, a Magnolia relative. Probably not it, but my best guess.

o

ispahan may be correct - there are reports that silver linden flowers are toxic to some types of bees, though I've never observed this myself.

o

Its not the Lindens that are toxic, its the insecticide imidicloprid that has killed bees by way of flowers on treated trees.

o

Dirr (Manual of Woody Landscape Plants) says,
“Considerable German literature that points to honeybee and bumblebee death after sampling the nectar of T tomentosa, T petiolaris, T dasystyla, T x euchlora and others. One paper recommended that T cordata, T platyphyllos, and T x europaea be no longer utilized in urban areas in Germany.”

o

Sounds exactly like a linden. Tilia cordata is very appealing to bees and generally considered safe. Tree in question could be Tilia tomentosa or silverleaf linden (lime), which is quite toxic to bumblebees but supposed nontoxic to honeybees.

As to how a tree from eastern Asia might get on your block is that it was intentionally planted :-)) Same as a tree native to the Balkans or Turkey got there. Trees with origins from far distant locations are not at all unusual in American gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: flower images of Tilia tomentosa

o

Hmmm....getting closer, I guess. Looking at picture number 3 of 7 on this site:
http://reclaimbeauty.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-linden-tree-flower-and-its-fragrance.html
The yellow 'flowers' on mine are a bit smaller and more tightly packed, meaning each crown doesn't have spread yellow buds, but is more stiff and together. And there are a lot more green leaves, with clusters of flowers hanging only upside down, looking like dining room lights (yellow bulbs surrounded by green facing down on a table.) . Very thick trunk on mine, and I only see bees near the clusters which already fell off. And they seem to fall off almost all at one (like within a week).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here