Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
type of tree and why is there moss on it

Posted by cholmes28 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 15:16

I have a tree that I think is some type of Japanese Maple (see photo), and it has soft furry green moss as well as lichen, and I was wondering if this is normal, or would indicate some type of problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: type of tree and why is there moss on it

here is the tree photo, will send the leaf next.

o

Here is a close up of the leaf.

o

It is quite normal with older trees and in damper or more humid climates. It is unusual to see moss and lichen growing in such close proximity, however - moss likes the shade while lichens like the sun.

And that is a Japanese maple.

o

lichens are entirely symbiotic ... just hanging on the tree..

other than being cool to look at... of no significance ...

never seen moss in a tree ... but maybe thats a MI thing ... usually its not damp enough..

BUT!!!! in the third pic.. do i see a very long pruning stub at high noon ... if so.. this tree mights be rotting on the interior ... and now.. looking back.. i think the first pic.. show a rotting prior pruning also ???

if so.. better pix ...

ken

o

Look up live oaks and spanish moss. Some scenic stuff us folks with a winter usually do not get.

o

I get moss on some of my trees in the shaded areas, heck it even grows up concrete and my field stones, so no reason it would not grow on a tree trunk. The lichen on my trees don't seem particular either. They grow in sun and shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here