Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
something eating oak leaves

Posted by leemn z4 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 15:17

I have a 40' tall Northern Pin Oak that the leaves are being eaten. I would say that 75% of the leaves show some damage to the extent that there is nothing left on some of the leaves but the 'veins'. Wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this, if there is concern about the health, and how I should treat it? My 4 acres are surrounded by Red Pines, this is the only Red Oak around, right in the middle of my yards...a good distance to any other tree. I did plant a Bur oak from acorn a few years ago, about 3' tall now and only a couple leaves shows damage.

Every spring for one evening, thousands of beetle swarm around this tree but there never seems to be any damage the next morning.

Thanks,
Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: something eating oak leaves

If you have caterpillars eating them, you should be able to see lots of caterpillar poop on the ground under the tree. Poop looks like small black beads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here