Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID

Posted by j0nd03 7b AR (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 15:37

I see this tree fairly commonly. The leaves are dark green on top and white underneath with alternate arrangement. The bark is creamy white in the top part of the tree and becomes pretty furrowed and dark near the ground.

I'm pretty sure this will be am easy ID with one pic but I can provide more if necessary.

The tree is also a prolific seeder.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID

Compare Populus alba.

o

Yep, that's a match. Thanks!

o

It is very unlikely that it produces viable seeds in AR or really anywhere in the US (except in the the upper Midwest and NE where it hybridizes with aspens). Rather, it produces numerous root suckers and can spread to form huge colonies. Erroneously, it has been banned in some states as a serious invasive species on the premise of seed production, which again, does not happen since almost all P. alba in those areas are female. They are quite rare here in FL, but do surprisingly well. I have a male clone that originated in AZ (probably from southern Spain originally) that makes a nice small tree, but does sucker like crazy.

o

Interesting! The multitude of babies I saw extended to about 40' away from the parent tree on the other side of a manufactured home. The roots from the parent tree were certainly very likely in the area.

OTOH, there are 3 in a fencerow by my house that I can't imagine someone planted on purpose.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 8:25

Must have a large climate-range. See occasional copses of them around here. Leaves are whitish when they emerge, and whitish undersides in the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here