Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In honor of the Transit of Venus, I just bought Cornus 'Venus'

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 15:40

OK, it was actually an impulse buy. Saw it in the nursery and it blew my mind. The flowers are the size of salad plates. Truly unbelievable. The tag said very good things about it, all suggesting it would be an excellent choice -- resistant to anthracnose and powdery mildew, vigorous grower, Zone 4 winter tolerance, long blooming season. I had to have it. So, I bought it.

It will certainly last longer than the Transit of Venus next Tuesday.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In honor of the Transit of Venus, I just bought Cornus 'Venus

Pics damn it! How can you build it up like that and not throw up a few pics?

John

See more on Know Your Meme

o

Oh yes, and congrats on the new tree! Can't wait to SEE it ;)

o

Pics:

Tree

Photobucket

Blooms with 12 oz Pepsi Can for scale -- the bracts are the same width as the can!

Photobucket

More blooms:

Photobucket

o

Dude! Nice!!!! Very healthy and good form. You got quite a looker there :D Flowers look almost as wide as southern magnolia flowers

o

nice tree for venus transit

o

Great looking tree!

I'd be remiss if I didn't add '....I'm your Venus, I'm your fire, at your desire'. heh heh

o

Saw this variety at a couple of the local retail outlets for the first time this year. Beautiful plant, but I wonder just how cold hardy it will prove to be, with Pacific dogwood (C. nuttallii) in its parentage.

o

The literature I found online claims it is Zone 4, and has proven to be good in marginal areas where other dogwoods fail.

I guess I'll find out, but I'm not worried at all here in a marginal Zone 6a.

o

Denninmi, how is your Cornus 'Venus' doing this year? I planted a small one early this spring. Very healthy and happy looking so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here