Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Questions about persimmon trees

catherinet
12 years ago

I bought 2 persimmon trees (D. verginiana) from a local nursery about 3-4 years ago. They were small then and are about 8' tall now and doing well. I just found out that I need a male and female to get fruit. Bummer. They aren't even making flowers yet. Is there any other way to tell if they are male or female? I guess I should have educated myself better first, before buying "generic" persimmons.

When will they start making flowers, so I might be able to tell their sex?

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

SOL until mature, sorry... unless you bought named cultivars

• calliope
    12 years ago

I bought one at an arboretum.....had no clue as to the sex of the tree. It started producing fruit about five years after I planted it. Sometimes female trees will produce fruit (small and seedless) without a pollinator. If you are in the range where persimmon is indigenous, you may get lucky and have a pollinator close enough in the wild. Occasionally a female tree will have a few male blossoms.

Alls I can say for sure is that I have a solitary American persimmon and she bears fruit. No, until the tree blooms, you can't tell. It was irresponsible for the nursery not to have informed you the need for planting a male and a female, just like it's irresponsible for them to sell a holly or gingko unsexed. Of course you'd like fruit, just like a person who buys a holly wants berries, or a person who plants a gingko doesn't want stinky fruits.

• nick_b79
    12 years ago

'Meader' persimmon is self-fruitful and will produce seedless fruit if grown by itself.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Not only do you not always need a male and female tree for fruit, but you might also be able to benefit from wild trees. I'm not sure where you are or how common native persimmons are where you live, but around here (east TN) they are everywhere, if you start looking. If you want to be 100% sure of getting fruit (or are interested in high quality fruit), choose cultivars from somewhere like Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery. If you just want some neat trees and the fruit would be an extra benefit, give your trees a chance.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Yes Nick Meader is what I have. I do get fruit. It seems to me that would be the most obvious ones for nurseries to carry.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    I just should have educated myself more before buying. And yes, the nursery was irresponsible. I'm learning what I can and can't buy from this particular nursery.

I did want fruit, but I'm happy with male trees too. I have only seen 1 female persimmon tree about 40 miles from here! That doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm in central Indiana.
    I think the butterflies that like persimmon, like either male or female leaves.
    Thanks for your input everyone!

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Well, I have only seen one mature bearing persimmon by the house, yet I have several dozen seedlings in the pasture about half a mile or so from the mature specimen. I'm pretty sure there are at least a few more around that I don't know about. You might very well have several around and not even know it unless you live in the burbs :)