Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
svtterminator

dappled willow tree dying?

svtterminator
9 years ago

I was advised on here to plant my dappled willow on a mound so the roots could be breathe. I dug a channel behind the tree and behind the fence is a sewer. Is it too late for this willow? Trees have changed yellow in color.

Comments (7)

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is pretty much all sump pump water which I didn't expect to suffocate the willows. I raised the 2 shrubs and tree above ground level. Hope they will survive

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is pretty much all sump pump water which I didn't expect to suffocate the willows. I raised the 2 shrubs and tree above ground level. Hope they will survive

{{!gwi}}

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My dappled willow tree has completely turned yellow and shriveled today. Should I buy another and plant it above ground level so that the root ball is completely trenched in water?

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've yet to return the dead tree. Any suggestions on what large shrub or tree I should get that can handle standing water?

• poaky1
    9 years ago

That is what my lower yard looks like after a good rain. I think if you plant another tree away from the standing water, even the same kind it may be okay. It is a smaller willow if it's the Hashiki Dappled willow, they are usually shrubs and your "tree" is a shrub pruned into a tree, unless it's something new.Anyway, I would plant away from the actual puddleness, for lack of a better wording. If you have a lot of room away from the house plant a real tree that can take that wet crap in their root zone, but not up on the trunk. If there is a 70 - 80 ft wide area, plant a Swamp White oak, (Quercus Bicolor) a quick search looks like zone 5 is ok. There's lots of wet site trees, but don't plant in the muck, get the tree going in a well drained area, then the roots can take some wet soil. As far as other things go, as I've read before on GW tree site, make sure the sewage and/or septic lines aren't old and / or cracked. If the house is newer the lines should be fine. If the house is older I think like the 60's ( guessing) and older, and no new waste pipes were added there may be broken or leaking pipes and trees may get their roots into them. If oaks are too big for your yard, Nyssa Sylvatica, Dawn Redwood isn't as wide as oak, well others will hopefully post more help. Another one I love but isn't a fancy schmancy tree is Sycamore, takes wet areas, grows fast, lives (in perfect siting) as long as 500 yrs, looks great, gets monstrous in old age, but they are bad if you have spring pollen allergies, but after spring, no problem. These are just what I would pick, but maybe get another Hashiro Nishikki, I think that's how it is spelled. If you have height restrictions, width restrictions etc post that stuff after my post.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Here's my shrub form {{gwi:374673}} I saw on another post that your pipes are modern. Plant on well drained area and the roots will likely adapt, basically what I posted before.

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks poaky1. Thanks for your post and I apologize for my delay it seems that I'm not getting email response when someone responds to my post.
    I have an autumn blaze maple and a norway spruce about 10 feet away from this area. So I can unfortunately stick to smaller items.

Your willow looks gigantic!! How big is it?

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor