Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fish042099

Black walnut tree value

fish042099
9 years ago

I have a black walnut tree on my property in the woods behind my house. It is about 17" in diameter and at least 10' before the first branch, and 20' before the first big branch. The house was built in 1840, so i would say that the tree could be over a hundred years old. How much money do you think a buyer of standing timber would give me for it?

Comments (13)

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

In all likelihood... zero.
    No timber buyers I know would touch that sucker...

The liability attendant to taking down a tree of that size with all the buildings, structures, utilities, etc., is probably well in excess of any value the lumber may actually have.
    What's that thing gonna fall on when they cut it down?
    Then, you've got the possibility of 'embedded hardware' in trees in a residential setting that can wreak havoc on a valuable sawmill blade. Sure, you've not been pounding nails into it, but if it's been there even half as long as you think, there may be hidden nails, wire, chain, etc. embedded in that trunk, courtesy of previous residents.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

A tree that size is nothing for real professionals (if they can get in to get at it); they'll tie it off and bring it down in sections. They might even cut it into reasonable sized logs for you if you've got a fireplace and some friends with a chainsaw and axe to finish the job. Read somewhere BW doesn't burn real hot but makes nice coals.

Good reminder on embedded hardware. I had two massive basswoods taken down that had been cabled, etc. at one time - arborists were grateful to know there might be a hidden danger.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Fish, it seems like a differing of opinions. My guess on removal costs are $2,500 no stump grinding. My big oak is probably larger but has better looking access and had a similar estimate even though the arborist did not think removal was necessary.

Let us know what estimates or offers you get.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

'Zero' may be true, but you are in NJ, a very metropolitan area and have more options than most. May involve a search but old growth and good solid trunks do have value.

We found a very good arborist and had a walk through to determine phase one of some trees removes. All four were very large. One was dying, one we had no idea it was dying and two that were of concern...

They brought in a crane on a flatbed and had all out in one day....2,500 as i recall. Very serious and careful operation. It can be done safely. One crane operator, one very serious fella harnessed to the crane and three on the ground dealing with chipping and cutting the lengths. (we did the stacking) and used the chip pile in the back garden...

We had three 12 ft lengths to have milled for lumber. Found a local small mill with a flatbed on-site portable mill to be set up in the driveway and was quoted 50hr and figured 4-6 hours...
    -ended up just using it for firewood.

A mill might offer to take it out for free, so that has value...some may be a bit thirsty for it and pay a bit...
    If you had it taken down, (access to it can be another issue)..., and then had it milled and had a proper place to store it to cure...might double/tripple your money spent but that could take a while...

-i'm dealing with a large sugar maple, twice that girth, that came down in a winter storm a few months ago.
    We will have it milled and have dry barn storage and it has great value to us and will be used for furniture, etc.

Basically it is the labor involved and the enormous process of removal that takes the value out of the picture. Being just one tree...
    A local farm was offered quite a bit for theirs but they declined...they have a large vegetable stand and it is often discussed as it is so large and twisted and knotty and gorgeous. But in an open area, so much easier to remove...very valuable to a furniture maker.

• lkz5ia
    9 years ago

That tree's value doesn't look to be in monetary form.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

How much money do you think a buyer of standing timber

==>> the fallacy of your premise.. is that this is NOT standing timber ... its a residential tree ...

and therein.. lies the rub ....

ken

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Looks bigger than 17" dia. Maybe the perspective is deceiving.

I cringe at the thought of cutting down that beautiful tree...

• sam_md
    9 years ago

fish042099,
    you say that the tree could be over 100 years old. In that case there is likely barbed wire, clothesline wire, fencing stake or whatever deeply embeded within the tree, by the pic you are in an urban area.
    I agree with the others, the cost of removal will likely exceed the value of the lumber.
    Think about this, isn't there some value to your property by having a healthy, large, intact, undisturbed BW tree there?

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

I would gladly pay a few thousand dollar to have that tree moved to my property, if it was possible. It would be a fantastic asset to my woodland

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Looking at that pole-tree just to the left of the walnut -- that does indeed need to go....

• fish042099
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response everyone. The tree isn't a loss to us since we are moving, so it is the loss of whoever is buying the house.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

"The tree isn't a loss to us since we are moving, so it is the loss of whoever is buying the house."

You are assuming that the tree doesn't positively influence your resale value...numerous studies have proved that assumption wrong. So removing the tree is your loss unless removal costs + loss in house value An urban tree with relatively short sections of clear trunk has little value to furniture makers (they might take it for free) and only marginally more for firewood. I don't think you'll even get back the removal costs on this project.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Wait! I forgot something.

In late summer my black walnuts drop these baseball sized green balls my kid and mower love to chuck around the yard. It is somewhat disturbing to be standing under the row of trees on a windy day.

Depending on the season and the buyer it might be a positive or negative. Walnuts in winter look great. Walnuts in early summer make me think white ash because I am not quick visually.

Walnuts in late summer over a home make me think 'hail damage' or 'glad I don't park my car there'.

It was hilarious. In St Charles along Salt River someone planted a walnut tree a few feet off the road. I thought of it as horticultural revenge to against all the cars that speed on by the house. Well, they made the road wider and I think the tree is gone.