Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black tree protectors too hot?

Posted by linda888 5 central Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 16:52

We have a couple of new trees (a sugar maple and a flowering crabapple). Last year we planted some new trees and the deer killed them. So today my husband went and bought this stiff plastic piping stuff that he cut a slit in and put it around our new trees. But I am worried because it is black and I'm afraid that it will overheat the tree. Is that something to be concerned about?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black tree protectors too hot?

Yes, the bark needs some sunlight. It can get damp and moldy and hot inside that plastic tube, and the bark can get soft and start coming off. That's why I use chicken wire or window screen, and I put it on very loosely.

o

i used the same for 4 years on one inch oaks.... with no problems related to them ...

i went 4 feet from ground up ... just in case we got 4 feet of snow.. lol..

the worst problem i had.. was getting them off w/o scarring the bark ...

they are now.. 10 years later.. going on 20 to 30+ feet ...

i think you are overthinking it all ...

ken

o

Thanks Ken and Nurseryman. I will monitor.

o

This year they are gone for now, but watch in fall, them army worms/tent cattapillars hide inside these trunk protectors. Many years ago, I had a young oak with a trunk plastic wrap around thing, and after I removed it, there were a whole bunch of them army worms on the trunk with slimy stuff on the bark. I don't think the tree died, but can't say for sure it didn't, the site of it made me itchy.

o

I guess using a bug spray or BT as a preventative would solve that problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here