Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdchambe

sugar maple - chance it will survive?

mdchambe
10 years ago

Hi all,

Last fall my wife and I purchased this green mountain sugar maple. Knowing what I know now I likely wouldn't buy such large tree but what's done is done.

Anyway, the tree is approx 3-4 inch caliper and 20 feet tall or so. The tree has leafed out, but as you can see, not robustly! The nursery is going to replace the tree and we can keep it if we want. We are thinking...why not give it a chance...and will probably keep it in the ground.

But, experts, given correct watering, how good of chance would you give the tree of living?

Also, for our replacement, we are thinking of getting another sugar maple. I don't know what they may have, but are any cultivars thought of as being "better" than the green mountain variety?

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Have you been watering it up to this point?

It doesn't look so hot. The year after transplanting, it's normal to have smaller leaves and a rather open canopy, but not quite like that. It looks to have about 40% or so crown dieback.

• mdchambe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No watering has been necessary this spring in Iowa. I think we've had somewhere between 12 and 15 inches of rain during the months of March, April, and May.

It did get watered a few times late last year as we were quite dry heading into winter.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

I had a Legacy sugar maple leaf out like that the spring (2012) after it was fall planted (in 2011). It died by mid-late July in our awfully hot summer last year. It did try to leaf out a second time but it was pretty pathetic. It was a bnb tree and when I dug it up, the remaining "rootball" was about 10" wide and 6" deep with next to nil feeder roots. Just large woody roots. No wonder it died...

If your tree does rebound, it will likely take several years before it gets back to a normal growth pattern and will require some commitment to TLC in the meantime.

It is just so much easier to remove and start small for me. I removed the 12' bnb legacy and planted a 2' cherrybark oak. The oak is growing and the leaves are nice and full size. So much more satisfying than wondering if the expensive big sick tree was going to croak or pull through.

John

• ospreynn
    10 years ago

It's a free tree now.... why not keep it... I really hate to euthanize plants.. For me, about 50-70% of the plants make it.

osprey

• nurseryman33
    10 years ago

I also would give it a shot. It looks like a really nice tree if it comes through. I have heard good things about Fall Fiesta sugar maple, but have no experience with it first hand.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Great branching structure. I wouldn't think twice about removing it. Water it properly and see what happens next spring.

• mdchambe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to hear people think its worth it to go e it a chance. That's what we thought too.

Thanks again everyone.

• famartin
    10 years ago

Depends on where it is and what you want it to do right now.

If you don't mind a half dead sapling in that part of the yard for what may be a long recovery, then sure, let it be and see what happens.

If its in a prime location which you really want to look good, get rid of it. It will, at minimum, require several years to recover, if it ever does.

• brad_s
    10 years ago

I vote for giving it another year. It's pushing out growth, however marginal, up near the top so that is a positive sign.

Best wishes,

Brad N.IL/Z5