Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Excessive Maple Helicopters

Posted by boonikki29 IA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 17:11

We moved into this house June 1st of last year and I don't recall having enough seeds drop to even be noticeable let alone being completely covered. We have so many helicopters...constantly sweeping and cleaning gutters to no avail. Is there something that causes them to drop more some years than others? Also...we planted a young 6' Ginko last year. We had a late frost and the leaf tips are black. Being hearty trees, I'm guessing it will recover?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Excessive Maple Helicopters

The Ginkgo should recover fine but might look tattered for a while this summer.

As far as the maple - stress could cause a heavy seed crop, but perfectly healthy maples do tend to have "on" and "off" years - some years producing an astonishing number of seeds, and very few the next. What kind of maple is it? Does it look healthy (no large dead branches or visible decay or damage)?

o

in trees... it is know as a mast years ... usually referring to nuts... but i dont know why it would matter .. a fruit is a fruit ...

as for the ginko ... an otherwise healthy tree will releaf ... but it can take a while.. be patient ...

but that presumes an ESTABLISHED tree ... and your is not.. one year after planting ... it shouldnt make a difference but there may be other stresses due to the planting.. that might throw a loop in the process ...

ken

o

boonikki29,

Yes I have noticed the same thing. Last fall our sugar maples dropped many thousands of seeds all over the property and this spring nearly all of them germinated in our driveway, sidewalk, garden beds, lawn, etc. I have never seen so many maple seeds. Our gutters were filled with them last fall. I cleaned gutters about 5 or 6 times due to maple seeds.

Now it's time for our silver and red maples to drop their seeds too, so round #2 of the "maple invasion" has started lol.

I think most trees produce heavy seed crops every few years and it runs in cycles. Last year our hemlock was covered in cones. Every branch was loaded. This year, I see about 20 cones total so far on the entire tree.

TYG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here