Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

Transplanting Catalpa tree

A cutting I started (a few years ago) on the "sandy beach" along our creek I just noticed is now a good sized (6-7' or so) Catalpa tree. It would have been better had I done so sooner, I know, but if still possible I'd now like to transplant it elsewhere.

With the area being all sand I doubt I'll have much of a problem digging it up, however, there will also probably be no "rootball" and I'm guessing the roots might have spread out to a wider area.
Is it still possible to transplant it successfully? Any tips (re factors I may not have considered) are appreciated.

Now June, I'm considering only partially digging/exploring, maybe severing some roots and leaving in place till Fall.
Advisable? Other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments (13)

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Root pruning is a time honored way to prepare a tree for transplantation. I think you have all the basics covered. Root prune in June, transplant it when the leaves fall.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Tips linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

root pruning is VERY OLD SCHOOL ... and i would suggest.. VERY PASSE ...

it has been suggested that severely stressing a plant.. thru root pruning.. and then stressing the heck out of it by transplant.. within a few months.. is a recipe for disaster ...

it should be moved.. when the leaves true color in fall.. the tree will be basically dormant above by that point ... just do it all once.. and shoot for SUPREME aftercare for 2 years... see brandons link about PROPER WATERING ...

i have had very little luck with stuff in this size range... perhaps you can spend a month or two.. searching out a 3 to 4 footer ...

but if you insist ... try to do something like the pic below... which relates to a cherry.. serotina ...

good luck

ken

{{gwi:325678}}

• ActionClaw (Northern Ohio zone:5a/5b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As I think more about it, I suppose my real concern is about transplanting a tree of this size with no root ball. Any bare root planting I've done in the past has been mere saplings; nothing of this size. Because it's growing in sand, I'm just assuming, as its uprooted everything will fall off, wash away leaving nothing but bare roots.

At this point, I'm assuming it just to be handled as any other bare root planting but on a larger scale. So, I suppose, what I'm asking is about any other precautions that should be taken? any "tried and true" hints or suggestions?

...Or, on the other hand, if the chances of success are not good, I could just let it live where it is.

• calliope
    10 years ago

If root pruning is passe for preparation to transplant, that's a new one on me, and perhaps I should read up on it. I still root prune, but I do it to encourage new root growth closer to the trunk and do it in stages and start the prune process well in advance of the move. I often do it a year in advance before I dig. I do know that top pruning after a move is not now recommended.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I agree with calliope.

Root pruning can be a bad idea if not done correctly (especially, if not done far enough in advance), but can be a useful tool when properly performed.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'm more concerned with the possibly vast change of the planting medium as far as how the existing roots will adapt. If you are moving from sand to soil it impacts water retention and aeration considerably. Catalpa tends to have a spreading and shallow root system in the first place, so it reinforces my initial thoughts about encouraging a more concentrated root system, so more of it can be retained in the move.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

shouldnt root pruning be done a year or two in advance..

not 6 weeks before transplant???

as in.. root prune half this year.... prune the other half next spring.. and move the tree fall 2014 ...

i just have a hard time ... thinking you can repeatedly stress a tree like this .. and expect success... with no experience ...

and do understand... what is done in the trade.. can be much different that what the homeowner does ... if they lose a certain percent of their plants due to such.. so be it ...

i am really talking about a more fail safe method for the homeowner ...

i mean really.. you have this idea .. how deep.. do you worry about under.. how far out.. how fast will it regenerate roots on the cut side ... have you studied all this ... do you have any answers???...

wouldnt it be so much simpler to just say.. just do it once.. in the proper season .. and replant it properly..

rather than superficially say;. sure go for it.. we wont tell you how to do it properly .. but the pro's do it all the time ...

one of the problems with the web.. IMHO ... when using a search engine.. is the 23 million responses you get ... there is simply too much info ... how do you know what you SHOULD do.. rather than what is possible .... and that is why OP came here..

and IMHO... on a one shot deal ... he is better off simply doing the job.. in the proper planting season.. with proper aftercare.. rather than trying to be all fancy .. IMHO .. forget about root pruning.. you have greater odds of killing it on the pruning.. rather than just moving the darn tree at the right time ...

i have succeeded with stupid dumb luck.. a thousands times more.. than when i tried to add a hundred variables.. of which i had no control ...

boy.. sometimes i just have to say something stupid.. to get a real debate going.. lol ...

ken

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

I believe that using equipment as shown in the link would be a bit overkill for a 7 foot tree. ;-)

It probably will pay you to talk to a local nursery. The are moving this size of tree all of the time.

Two years ago we bought and had planted a 14', that is doing well. This the second year since transplanting and the tree has grown about 3' and the canopy has significantly increase

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Catalpas are really forgiving of transplantation. Mine was moved 2 years in a row, never lost a leaf for it.

While we are on Catalpa, DW and I were walking by the tree last week and found hundreds of these:

{{gwi:375260}}

In the space of a day, the amount of green on the tree declined by almost 1/2. I was hoping we had the wasp around.

Several days later, there were a few moths, but not near the number we expected. The small white eggs or whatever they are are hard to see, but almost every caterpillar sports a dozen or so.

Thank you wasp.

{{gwi:375261}}

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Dzitmoidonc, that caterpillar sure looks familiar (some kind of sphinx moth?), tho doesn't show up here on my catalpa until later in the season. I pick them off for fish-food, but always leave the parasitized ones to promote the wasp.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

beng, I'm afraid if we had picked them all off and thrown them in the pond, the fish would have died from overeating. The tree is about 25 ft. tall, and almost every single leaf had one worm. Almost no leaf had 2, I guess they see to that. As a rule, I leave trees to their own defenses here, the only exception being the years we get the plagues of Japanese Beetles.

The last time my poor Catalpa had the Catalpa worm, it was defoliated, and I feared the same this time. Thank you little wasp! The first couple of days we spotted the wasps, the Catalpa worms sported a few parasites each. By this weekend, the worms I could find were almost covered from end to end with the beautiful little white capsules. Gotta love nature, so beautiful, so cruel at the same time.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Yeah Dzitmoidonc -- mine is now 25' & getting even a significant number picked off isn't practical (don't see any yet this yr). But my stream fish still like something different to eat other than the usual crushed, dry catfood.

Looked it up -- catalpa sphinx moth below:

Here is a link that might be useful: catalpa sphinx moth

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors