Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone please identify this fast growing volunteer?

Posted by SusanCF 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 17:23

This grew smack in the center of a pot of oregano. I let it grow since it was so centered I thought I might have put something there on purpose. Now it's clear it's some sort of volunteer. I see a lot of them on my walks. I just wonder what it is. Sadly it will probably have to be cut down. It's sent a thick root right through the pot's drain hole into the ground, but I don't really it want a tree where it is.

This post was edited by SusanCF on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 17:24

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone please identify this fast growing volunteer?

Probably tree-of-heaven, the ironically named mega-weed. Get rid of it while you have the chance.

o

Or maybe a Sumac...breed like rabbits...at least where i am...

o

Thank you both. "Tree of heaven" (which is a kind of sumac) it appears to be. I see lots of warnings against letting these get started at all in one's yard, so I will remove it and its roots as aggressively as possibly, and with less guilt than I was going to have over cutting down a tree.

o

You can see the distinctive notch on the leaflet that signifies it is Tree of Heaven, not sumac. Tree of Heaven is not a type of sumac but it does have the nickname of "stinking sumac" due to the resemblance.

o

Ah. Well, anyway, I disposed of it with extreme prejudice. I hope that no suckers are going to pop up elsewhere.

o

I'm 100% positive that its Tree-of-Heaven, a.k.a. Ailanthus (a.k.a. Ghetto Palm).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here