Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uptightbuyer

Bark falling off old dogwood

uptightbuyer
11 years ago

Could anyone identify what is wrong with our old dogwood tree please? The bark is just falling away when touched.

Comments (13)

• uptightbuyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another closer photograph.

• uptightbuyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, tried to send another picture but it won't go through somehow!

• gardenapprentice
    11 years ago

maybe a borer?

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

I see a dancing bear in the bark pattern. Maybe it was hit by a miniature circus bear. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a circus bear spinning a basketball in his right hand when he hit the tree... or perhaps a dog was chasing a squirrel at an extremely fast rate and the squirrel jerked when he should have juked and face-planted into your dogwood throwing a bur oak acorn out of his right hand as he smacked the trunk.

Other possibilities are borer, drought last year, onerous kids etc

Sorry I could not be better help

John

• jqpublic
    11 years ago

We have a dogwood like that and surprisingly the bark is starting to grow back!

• botann
    11 years ago

Looks like normal flaking to me.
    Mike

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

Don't know if dogwoods are susceptible, but looks a lot like 'smooth patch', seen commonly on some of the oaks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smooth Patch of Oaks

• uptightbuyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. Lucky, it really does look very similar to one of the pictures on that website you sent me about Smooth Patch on Oaks, but I can't find anything on smooth patch on dogwoods. I hope this second picture uploads properly. It kind of looks like a running sore. You can see on closer inspection there is a lot of green stuff stuck to it. No borer holes that I can see.

I just want to know what to do with it. This is a very cherished old dogwood, in spring the talk of the neighborhood.

• uptightbuyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There it is just behind the wheelbarrow, last summer.

• uptightbuyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here it is in spring.

• botann
    11 years ago

The flaking isn't going into the cambium layer. It's natural for older Dogwoods to do that.
    Don't worry about it. Take a look at other older dogwoods in your area to see the same.
    Mike

• uptightbuyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike. I hope my pictures of the flaking on my old dogwood help other worried gardeners.

P.S. The Italian cypresses are doing well since I cut off the extra leaders on both trees, they seem to have strengthened up a bit, but I still have the top of the big tree supported for safety's sake.

Patty

• zinfanatic
    10 years ago

My young dogwood was planted about five years ago in my Berkeley Calif. garden. Originally the blooms were light pink and now are all white. I like the pink. Is there any supplement or fertilizer that will help turn it back to pink?