Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columnar tree?

Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 17:48

I am buildings and grounds chair at church....andw e have 6 trees planted near the street and 2 more flanking a big window.....all are over grown...the ones near the street are impinging on the power lines and the 2 flanking the windows are beginning to touch the walls of the church.
I find in the files a landscape plan calling for crimson sentinal maples.....well they are not that!!
They are deciduous, have a fairly small leaf similar to an elm, don't turn color in the fall...are shaped like a linden.
I want to have them trimmed...from what I can see, to keep the look they would have to be trimmed with a hedge trimmer....and I am wondering what that would do to them.
any suggestions as to what they could be?
Linda C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columnar tree?

• Posted by kcail 6A KY USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 7:28

Are they lombardy poplars?

o

Nope...much more refined and slower growing than Lombardy poplar.

o

Possibly columnar European hornbeam, Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata'. These can start out quite narrow but eventually get rather wide, more so with great age.

They tend to have a very dense, more or less upright branch structure.......I could see where a 'hedge trimmer' might be thought appropriate :-)

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 10:27

Thank you....looking at pictures I believe you are right.
So now what? Obviously they were planted in the wrong place....under wires and too close to the building. Is it appropriate to do the hedge trimmers trim? Or will that just promote more tip growth at the expense of interior structure?
Maybe I should just wait until my time on the board is up and let the next person handle it...
Thanks for any advice!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here