Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
643gwozdz_gw

Trees that make sound?

643gwozdz
9 years ago

Hello -

I would love to plant some aspens, as I love the way they sound in the breeze. However, aspens have issues with suckers and they are known to damage underground pipes, etc. So I am looking for alternative tree, shrub choices that have a similar sound when subjected to breeze. Ideas?

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what is your access to air movement???

much of suburbia might not have the requisite wind speed to make the sounds ...

out here in the country ... on 5 acres ... all my trees rustle ... and its actually quiet enough for me to hear them ... some are very subtle ...

so give us some info on the site ...

ken

• poaky1
    9 years ago

The wind through our white pines is nice. Not noticeable unless you are close to them though.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I've got some old poplars that predate their suburbia and they are downright noisy. It's quite similar to the aspen sound. I don't know how well poplars play with plumbing. Most people don't think much of them, or if they do, think of them as cheap disposable trees, but mine are nice!

It's always breezy afternoons in this part of suburbia. That's why my trees are here: they're remnants of an old farm windbreak.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

BTW ... how modern are your pipes...???

any PVC chem welded pipes are impervious to roots ...

but old school clay/adobe pipes.. are the potential nightmare...

whats the date of you system???

ken

• 643gwozdz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello -

Thank you for the responses.

Re: date of my plumbing: it's brand new, the home was just constructed.

Re: wind at the site; it's pretty breezy. I am up on a hill. I have a few large doug firs on the property line. Their sound is subtle. Looking for something a bit louder.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    9 years ago

The poplars seem to be the noisiest. We have cottonwoods around the barns and when it is even slightly windy I always think that the irrigation system is on. It's just the wind in the trees. (Aspens are a kind of poplar).