Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree identification

Posted by bev2009 6 IN (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 18:22

I'm not very good at identifying trees. A tree sprung up in my garden. I don't know what it is and whether I should leave it. It was very healthy and I actually wanted a try in about that location. Please let me know what it is. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree identification

i only guess at this game.. but it looks like a pear ...

you dont have a bradford pear in the area... do you???

though the stem reminds me of poplar ... do you get snowed on when the cottonwoods seed????

neither tree is of value in your yard...

lets see what the experts have to say ...

ken

o

I was afraid it might be a cottonwood. We do have those in the neighborhood. I don't want one in my yard. If someone else confirms, I'll cut it down. Thanks, Ken.

o

It looks an awful lot like that is what it is...both Populus (cottonwood) and Pyrus (pear) have alternate leaf arrangement and glossy leaves but the branch structure on this looks a lot like Populus.

We have lots of Populus but we have a Western ranch with lots of room and as Ken notes, a cottonwood doesn't make much sense in a typical yard/garden.

Sara

o

Callery pear.
If you want a tree in that location, let it grow and graft/bud it over to your choice of a good fruiting pear variety(or several varieties!). It makes a good standard rootstock for both European and Asian pears.
Otherwise, dig it up and toss it - before it becomes a big thorny thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here