Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Althea Question

I planted a young althea - its making buds and blooming but it looks like the heat is giving it a hard time. It gets sun a good bit of the day - I water it consistently. I am wondering if altheas need more shade. I could prune it back a bit, cut the buds off, put some shade cloth over it for protection this summer, hoping next year it will have a better root system or move it back to a pot and replant it in late fall. I am open to suggestions as to what I should do to help this tree. Thanks for any advice!
Judith

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

What does "hard time" consist of, in this instance? Poor leaf color? Hibiscus syriacus seems to need a pretty high level of fertility as yellowish leaves are common (at least in my area); I once read the comment in a reference somewhere that the same soil conditions as would be provided hybrid tea roses were about right.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It looks a bit wilted - I planted it a month ago - would think plenty of time for it to adjust and perk up. I wonder if all the buds are preventing it from growing roots - if I should prune them off. With my roses, I always prune the buds off when I plant one to take the stress off the bush. I would like to see a bit greener leaves on the althea - I planted it in a combination of dirt from the hole mixed with a combination of a good mixed soil I get from a local company - sand, bark fines, aged mushroom compost - that all my plants do well in. I am afraid the sun may be the culprit - that I have it planted in an area that is too hot for it. I dont know if altheas do better in less sun - they grow well in east Texas.....but I have never noticed if they are out in full sun or not.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Likes sun. Amended planting hole backfill always a mistake, and could account for the wilting - the amended hole may be losing water to the unmodified soil around it. Instead organic matter should go on top of a planting hole refilled with the same soil that came out of the hole.

Do not cut back tops at planting time, growth of new roots is fueled by energy made in leaves and stored in stems. For more information about modern practices (obsolete recommendations still abound) see the web pages of Linda Chalker-Scott (and the Gardening Professors discussion site she links to).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I planted it a month ago - would think plenty of time for it to adjust and perk up.

==>> i would think one to two years.. will get a fully established plant ...

not a month ...

yes shade it.. do NOT cut it apart.. and hope for the best ...

i think of it as a flowering shrub.. more than a tree ... but that doesnt mean anything here and now ...

proper planting time is TX.. was not a month ago.. as you are learning... i like to say.. that such should be planted 6 to 8 weeks BEFORE HEAT SETS IN ... though i have no clue when that is.. for your TX ...

i didnt see if you mentioned how big it is ... if tiny.. even a lawnchair.. will give shade ...

and the bigger the transplant.. the longer to getting the roots working properly.. to support that above ....

ken