Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notreesavvy

Austrian Pine tree problem?

Notreesavvy
9 years ago

Three 26? year old Australian pines that are not looking so great. The bark is separating and turning a copper colour and to add that and specifically that one is literally void of all bark at the taller 1/2 of the tree, and looking very sparse of tree limbs. All 3 are doing the same, but it seems to be at different stages, which tells me a fungus of some kind but, I am no tree savvy, and need some help. What is going on with these pine's? The pic should help. Thanking you in advance.

Comments (6)

• lkz5ia
    9 years ago

It is normal flaking and is quite beautiful, seems to look like a Scotch Pine. In some areas, like my area, Scotch and Austrian Pines are dying from various problems.

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Agree, it looks like a healthy scots pine

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it is maturing.. as its supposed to ... period ...

who you didnt slather chems on that glorious bark ...

ken

• Notreesavvy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The peeling and copper colour of the bark is normal and a sign of maturing. Feeling relieved, thank you all. No chemicals have ever been used on these trees. Ontario had a awful ice storm in Dec. and every tree was encased in 1/4" to 1/2" of ice for months with frigged cold temps of -40C (-40F). When I saw the bark peel, I had concerns, that this past winters weather was too much for them, but you all have rested my thoughts. I had swung back and forth at the type of pine and picked the Austrian Pine, but if you are saying it is a Scottish pine then I will have to believe ya. haha Another pic. which shows the left pine being more sparse then the other 2. Is this an indication of a problem? Thank you all so much for your putting my worry, of the bark peel to rest.

• calliope
    9 years ago

It is proper to call them Scots or Scotch pine, Scottish is reserved for people or languages but not for the trees. ;-)

I am also calling it a Scotch pine and the bark on yours is exquisite. As lkztia mentioned there is a segment of the U.S. where this species of tree is being hit hard with a disease and I'm assuming he's/she's referring to diplodia blight. I have lost two mature trees to it, and I wish to hay my partner would saw the young tree down who also has it so it won't be a vector to other slightly susceptible conifers nearby who don't have it yet. It affect pines with needle bunches of two. We certainly can't see the sparse tree well enough to jump to any conclusions, and it looks to be limbed out rather high and perhaps you can't inspect it well enough to tell either even if you knew what to look for. I do not know if it even an issue in Canada. If you're suspecting issues with it, you may want to consider having a knowledgeable person have a look-see and relieve your doubts.

• Notreesavvy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Auto correct pointed out my lack of capital S, and in my accepting the change I hadn't notice that it turned it into Scottish instead of my Scotch oopps :) I am happy in the knowing the tree's are doing their normal Scotch pine thing and do it because they are maturing and healthy trees. If I have any other concerns I will be sure to call the other experts outside of here for visual assistance. Thank you all very much. You have rested my mind for concern. Best to all