Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sos23_gw

Staking help

sos23
10 years ago

Hello,

I just received a Red Oak through a municipal tree planting program (caliper at about 2-3cm). I wasn't able to choose my own tree and was given one where at about its midway point it bends forward at an angle of approximately 20 degrees. The height of the tree is about 12 feet. It's 'bark' is still greenish and it has a lot of bend in it.

I don't want it to grow crooked. Any suggestions on how to stake this tree or if its even necessary?

Thanks in advance!!

X. S

Comments (3)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

BIG transplant and interesting time of year. Oh well, little you can do about that.

How up on planting are you?

Wider hole than seems necessary. No deeper than the rootball.

If the tree is in burlap remove the burlap probably leave it on until the tree is in place then cut if off from around the sides so the roots can grow through into your yard and water can get from your yard to them as easy as possible.

Due to the size of the tree and the fact it is leafed out so it will catch as much wind as possible I assume staking WILL BE necessary to keep it from blowing over probably not to straighten it out.

This fella is a little bigger than my specialty. On my small trees I now put up three stakes in a triangle around the trees, and tie a bit of pantyhose loosely around the tree then use fishing line from the panty hose to each of the three stakes. I don't even want the pantyhose to pull on the tree on a regular day. It should just barely touch it.

Make sure the tree gets regularly watered. stick your thumb into the rootball to see if it is damp every couple days. Tough time of year for a transplant.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

That seems like a very small diameter for a 12 foot tree.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

it is not proper to plant deciduous trees .. in leaf.. a few weeks prior to the heat of summer... [are they bare root.. or potted... if potted you might ignore the rest????? ..more facts please]

pot them ... in a mix of 50% potting media .. and 50% bark fines or mini chunks.. and place in full bright shade..

and try to make them live until the proper planting time in fall ...

i am not in the trade.. so i cant tell offhand.. how big they are based on numbers ... any chance at a pic ?????

but understand.. they do not have to be planted true vertical ... if you plant it say.. off 10 degrees ... it will 'look better for now' ..... and all other variables proper... when the things are a foot thick.. it will be straight ...

you are way to worried about such on a tree that can live 100 years.. and be 3 foot wide.. when you hold in your hand.. a chunky pencil sized sliver.. dont you think ... ???

tree planting guide at the link.. try not to overthink it all.. and love them to death ... no amending.. no fert ... etc ....

so.. in summation.. i would just try to get it to live for a year or two.. before i would start thinking about how to torture it straight.. one priority at a time .. and life is it for now ...

and if its bigger than i am thinking.. i might change my mind .. pic please..

ken

ps: you said its bending forward .. if you turn it around.. it bending away .. lol .. my point.. is your preconceived notion ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County