Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_marie83

ornamental tree turning brown inside also

Lisa
9 years ago

This tree I planted early spring and it is called a juniperus "blue chip" I am not sure on the total name..I will attach a pic but it was yellow inside and now turning brown I was told these types of trees do this is this true? This is a pic days after I planted it and way before I mulched my landscaping etc. Please if anyone knows ...Thanks you

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Almost surely normal behavior, and the plant looks fine from what I can tell by the picture. But, as I wrote in your other very similar thread, if dead needles start appearing on the upper surface of the foliage or the browning seems to be occurring in patches rather than uniformly throughout the plant, insect damage or disease are possibilities (I see no sign of this in the picture).

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Brandon ;) I Love this little tree its all brown inside outside a little to but not much...a lot of blue/green though...Thanks, Lisa

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what he said.. but its planted about 3 feet too close to the house ... unless you plan on massacring it thru pruning.. and keeping it exactly this size ... it is a tree.. they never really stop growing ...

and if that wall gets hit by sun.. its going to bake it.. even in winter ...

we need a current pic..

and if i were you.. i would think long and hard about moving it in fall ... straight toward the camera about 3 feet.. and one foot to the left ...

be nice to know.. where you are ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, Hi I am in Pittsburgh, Pa and I plan on keeping it this size if I can the guy at the nursery said they tolerate cold winters that was my first question since last yr I lost 3 gorgeous shrubs due to a freezing cold winter :( so I replaced them all w smaller ornamentals I will take a pic tonight and show you I am in Love w this little tree I know junipers do tend to get brown in the middle I had a few sky rockets which looked great then got brown so I ditched them a few yrs ago. ;) ...will post later tonight. Ty :)

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I took a pic of the front, back and side..the back is really getting brown :( so sad I watered it good tonight. here are the pics

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

back of it

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

side of it, sorry couldn't put them in the same message for some reason