Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Dogwood?

Posted by JohnGoFig none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 19:47

Greetings. I have a fairly mature dogwood that is starting to die; the leaves are turning yellow even though we have had ample rainfall.

I suspect the roots were damaged when a sewage line had to be dug last winter just beyond the drip line, about 10' from the trunk.

I have pulled up the monkey grass from around the tree's trunk, and have watered frequently. Also, I am tediously cutting off the hundreds of berries from the branches, perhaps this will help the tree conserve its strength and recover.

My other dogwoods seem to be doing OK. If anyone has any advice, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
-John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Dogwood?

Hellp John.

That sucks. I find dogwoods to be a picky bunch. I also have one which looked like it was dying after it was suddenly exposed to more sun after I removed an ash. It is now the best looking of my three. Go figure.

Try to water deeply when the ground is drying out. Don't flood it. These are not tolerant like bald cypress unfortunately.

I would probably have a year or so of patience with it.

Best of luck.

o
RE: Dying Dogwood?

Thanks for the reply - even after cutting most of the berries off, the tree is still going downhill. In the last couple of years, during a dry spell, I lost two other dogwoods, each had a 5" diameter trunk and were probably 15 to 25 years old. The leaves wilted, turned yellow, and fell. It was late in the season, and I did not take much notice until the next spring when the trees -now dead - failed to leaf out. I was really upset the trees died, they seemed to flourish in previous years. Perhaps the emergence of the 17 year cicadas weakened the trees - the nearby ground looked like swiss cheese with so many holes in it.

But that was two years ago. Presently this dogwood seems sick and I can only suspect the roots were damaged by the work done on the sewage line.

Curiously, I discovered a peculiar "wrinkle" in the bark near the base-the wrinkle almost encircles the trunk. Maybe someone hit it with a lawn mower years ago and it healed up.

Any further advice would be appreciated.
-John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here