Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlk195

tree leaves drooping from too much rain

mlk195
14 years ago

I planted a Kwanzan cherry tree about a month ago, and it seems it has been raining ever since. This past weekend we received considerable additional rain and now the leaves on this tree are drooping from too much water. My question is, should I just leave it where it is and hope the soil dries out (we're not supposed to get rain in the next few days), or should I immediately dig the tree out of the saturated soil and maybe temporarily put it in a pot?

Comments (7)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Agreed with bboy. Hopefully it will recover if you are lucky and the weather gods accept your sacrifice(s).

In my old practice and in all my yards including this one, I had some sort of mound for my beds whenever possible to avoid these situations. When making mounds, ensure to incorporate the new soil into native soil before piling your mound.

Dan

• cascadians
    14 years ago

Where is all this rain? Definitely not in my backyard.

This weekend we were out and about all over, many places had rain, came back home and nada. Overnight barely a mist. Frustrating. Back out to water. Tomorrow supposed to be hot and sunny, 80 degrees.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

is your soil clay ..

did you plant it above grade, as peeps who live in clay are inclined to do ...

roots need air.. almost as much as water .... so too much water can be problematic ...

did you add fertilizer or stimulators to the planting hole??

with the heat at this level.. its not a great time to be digging it out ... unless it is the only option ....

ken

• jm30
    14 years ago

What is the planting site normally like? Is it common for it to be completely saturated or does it usually drain adequately? Here in Ky, we have also had an extraordinary amount of rainfall so far this year, and I have a couple spots in my yard that are having a hard time draining. But usually these spots are fine, so I'm not going to be digging up my landscape in those area. If that site does not have a history of flooding and normally drains well, let your tree sit and dry out. Occasionally, we have a freakish year of weather, and this is one here in central Ky. Now, if your leaves are drooping, they will be fine. If they are wilted, they may dry up and fall of. There is a difference between the two. Lastly, in my opinion, trees usually don't look that great their first year anyways. Foliage normally is stressed it's first year.

• gauras
    14 years ago

I have the similar problem with too much rain. Some leaves
    on a recently planted magnolia are turning yellow.

I just aerated around the roots with a hoe. There was no
    standing water but you could tell the soil was waterlogged.
    The hoe just went in with not much effort.

I hope the holes give some relief to the roots. Can't do much else

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I wouldn't mix the new soil being used to make a mound or berm with the existing soil. When you are making a raised planting area to avoid the properties of the existing soil you do not want to foul the new soil by mixing the existing soil into it.

Interface between two zones of soil not a problem, you can even grow plants in topsoil dumped onto pavement or rooftops - as long as the surface beneath the planting does not puddle enough to flood the planting.