Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Growing a Golden Rain Tree Seedling...help Please...

gardenlady48
10 years ago

Last year I had many seedlings growing under my mature GRT. Garden friends wanted one so I pulled them up...dipped in rooting hormone and planted in pots. They would look good for a while and the die off. I put 8 of them in a holding bed over the winter and only 2 survived. What the heck? Why are these so touchy ? Any growing tips to offer? TIA

Comments (8)

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Maybe they are root sprouts, not seedlings?

No tips, I can't stand the things.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

for general info.. google your title ... might help to throw in the latin name ...

you might not run across someone with direct experience.. here on GW

but there has to be a better way.. than just winging it.. though. i have to say.. thats how i learned.. lol.. before the www

ken

• yardenman
    10 years ago

I have 2 golden rain trees (Koelreuteria paniculata), one on either side of the entrance to my driveway. I love them. However, one grew a standard trunk and one grew branches from the base. It looks a bit odd if you look carefully. But they seem to both be topping out at about 15' so it probably doesn't matter. They are in difficult locations with the driveway, street, and storm drains; but they seem quite happy and I'm pleased about that.

Now, to the point of gardenlady48's question. I don't specifically find much about goldenrain tree cutting propogation but there are some general rules I have used successfully.

I would recommend trying a late Spring twig cutting (one with no buds and new growth), use your root hormone, set the cutting in potting soil in a 3" pot, water lightly from the bottom, keep the cutting in indirect light, give it a loose clear plastic cover, and wait 6 weeks (keeping the pots barely moist from the bottom).

After 6 weeks, turn the pot upside down and tap the soil out into the other hand. If you see roots, set it back in and give it some better sunlight, and a larger pot if the roots are growing well. Discard any that are just sticks.

You can also try growing them from the seeds. I haven't tried that but some suggestions are here: http://www.ehow.com/how_7639793_grow-rain-tree-seeds.html

• timbo7
    9 years ago

I also need help please - I live in Austin Texas. I have tried twice now to plant/grow a Golden Rain Tree from 2-4 ft purchased saplings. In both cases, the tree grew fine through the initial spring and summer, but after the first winter, both of them grew back but only from the base with multiple stems...kinda like a bush. Also in both cases, the main trunk never came back with any leaves - like it died. But the stems from the bottom grew. What causes this and what can I do to stop it? I want a single trunk.

• billacquesta
    7 years ago

I have the same problem. What gives?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

poor stock.. improper planting.. or improper aftercare ... see link.. or just ma nature hating on you and the tree .. lol

ken

https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

• arbordave (SE MI)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

They are easy to grow from seed, I've grown many seedlings (have some growing now that I potted from germinated seed about a month ago). The ehow link posted by yardenman is good info. After collecting the seed I soak them in hot water before putting them in moist potting soil in plastic bags for stratifying in the fridge. Many of my seeds begin to germinate while still in the fridge. I'd recommend providing winter protection if the seedlings are planted out while still small. I have a hardy seed source. Keep in mind that Goldenraintrees are variable in hardiness depending on seed source (provenance).

In the deep south, you may be dealing with K bipinnata rather than K paniculata.