Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleveland pear - Orange substance at trunk?

Posted by twqwctf VA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 20:11

Hi, please help! I have this (what I think is a) either a Cleveland Flowering Pear or a Bradford Pear tree.

I noticed today a strange orange substance at the trunk of the tree. I got out the hose and washed it away..

I also noticed the tree is developing blotches of dark spots, i.e. leaves browning, turning dark.

Please help me understand what is going on here. Two photo links below:

http://home.comcast.net/~currygoat55/peartree/peartree01.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~currygoat55/peartree/peartree02.jpg

This post was edited by twqwctf on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 20:30

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleveland pear - Orange substance at trunk?

Picture of orange substance:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://home.comcast.net/~currygoat55/peartree/peartree02.jpg

This post was edited by twqwctf on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 22:38

o

Huh. The orange is unusual.

This year I saw what looked like fireblight turning the last four to six inches of aome Bradford family pears black. First time I remember noticing. None of them had orange near the trunks but one is suckering like no one's business.

o

Okay I have an update. I drove around the neighborhood this morning and found 3 other pear trees with this strange orange substance at the trunk. Not as much orange stuff that my tree had, but definitively other trees had this stuff. I picked some up with my fingernail. Same color. And all trees had similar browning/spots on parts of the leaves.

I am now wondering whether this is just a natural phenomenon and nothing is really wrong with all these trees.

Also recently we had a big rain. Perhaps this orange stuff washed down the tree and collected at the trunk?

This post was edited by twqwctf on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 10:44

o

A fungus of some sort, perhaps?

Either way, it's a Callery pear so I'd just cut it down to be safe. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here