Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cadillactaste

Proud of how the combo turned out...

cadillactaste
9 years ago

A weeping spiral/serpentine cherry...a Sem False Spirea...and a wisteria tree.

Those warned me from the wisteria tree. This one is a single vine from the ground. They had some of those...multi trunks twisted and trained as a tree. MY GOODNESS! What a mess...vines from what was trained as a trunk going EVERYWHERE! This one had a sucker...that is a foot tall...with bloom buds on it even. Contemplating air layering at a later date...to bonsai...or grow as another tree. Definitely a tree look verses what was coming off those other wisteria trees. Not sure why...but it is what it is.

Comments (11)

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sucker...nothing like those vines sticking off the trained trunks of the other trees.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Maybe I'm just tired, but I read and reread through your posts a couple of times and still don't understand half of what you said or what the ultimate purpose of the thread is.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just proud of how it turned out...and talk of the wisteria. Shocked at how two trees can take on different aspects. The one I bought...had suckers...the others had long wild vines coming off the trained trunks.

Then was curious...if I could air layer that sucker...for a bonsai at a later time. Can you air layer wisteria?

I am tired as well...running on only 3 hours of sleep from the previous night. If I am confusing...I am sorry.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

shesh Brandon ...

pride.. she is proud of what she sees as the future... apologize and go to your room ... lol ...

good work ... i kinda got lost in your story ... but i can see what it will look like in 5 or 10 years ...

keep up Gods work ...

ken

ps: you need better work shoes ... lol .. or are those yoru camera shoes....

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken...yes, excited. Can't wait to see this fill in. :)

Lol Those are my supervisor shoes. My husband digs the holes and plants. I just prune,weed,and water.

Trying to decide what to do with that sucker on the wisteria tree, since it has a bloom. Allow it to continue to grow? And how would I remove it and it be safe for the main tree doing so while having success with keeping the sucker alive? Figured maybe potting it in a year or two. Thinking...it maybe to late to so it now. (With it too pushing blooms) Or...ground planting best for it once removed.

Wish I had taken photos for the comparison of the wisteria trees. The one I got produced suckers. The rest...that were multi stemmed/twisted trunks that had crazy vines all over the trained trunk area. But...now that I think about it. The spent bloom stems on mine...were much shorter than the one on those. So maybe just a more invasive vine than the one I have? Though...I have read that single trunks of wisteria are easier to maintain.

One lady over on the cottage forum...has waited 2+ years for her wisteria to vine. And it hasn't. (It has bloomed and looks amazing!) It has a single trained trunk, she now realizes that she may have picked up a tree verses a vine. She had bought it to grow up a pole that has arms to hang plants off of. Thinking the one stem would be easy to train I guess...or...that was all that was available to her. Not sure. I find wisteria trees confounding. For some seem quite manageable...others not so much. And seeing the the two varieties at the nursery...I can see why some would deter ones from purchasing those, they looked like wild beasts! All those vines coming off their trained trunks. Severe need of pruning. The owner of the nursery said he leaves them like that...so ones can see the care that will go into having those planted in the ground. He also said...mine was a suckering variety. Though not sure what kind. But...he also compared the two wisteria trees standing side by side. (Again wish I had thought to grab a photo. The nursery is a bit over an hour away so I don't wish to go back just for a photo shot) Comparing the pruning and maintenance that would go into each. Just thought...it odd...two trees labeled as the same...basically. Were so different.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Then there are those of us tired of people singing the praises of Asian wisterias - especially when we see it take over several dozen trees in the wild, smothering out native vegetation in it's wake.

Congratulations and I hope yours is as well-behaved as you hope it will be. But I hope you will promise that it does start to run that you will take appropriate action so that, one day when you leave your house, you don't leave a problem for someone else.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Esh...I do understand your reasoning...I also wonder if zones and variety are the key. My neighbor has a wisteria vine...she's had it for a good number of years, and it's easily contained to where she has it growing.

I've lived here 23 years...plan on pushing up daisies upon my leave of the place. But...I totally get what your saying, and if it becomes a problem. I will address it. I hope that isn't the case. With it looking less wild than the other trees. I am very hopeful though.

• nyboy
    9 years ago

Cadillataste I think your right about zone. I planted a wisteria over 20 years ago, I prune it once a year never any problems. Was shocked when I started reading how much trouble they can be in the south.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Invasiveness is ALWAYS dependent on location. What can be invasive in one part of the country may be perfectly well behaved elsewhere. It is never a good idea to jump to the conclusion that because a plant is invasive where you live, it may offer the same concerns everywhere else. Chances are very good it will not :-))

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Lots of people read these forums and they don't always get that (sadly). It doesn't hurt to mention the concern.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One here on the landscaping design forum may have named the variety I own...we shall see, but believe it's a Wisteria frutescens 'Amethyst Falls'. Being it is going through another bloom period and...has smaller bloom stems on it from it's first bloom cycle.

Also in researching that variety. I learned it suckers a straight sucker at it's base. Which mine did do over producing those crazy vines that were on the other wisteria trees at the nursery.

Time I guess will tell...as to what variety I own. I am pondering if that isn't the variety the neighbor has growing on her wall up at her house. She absolutely loves it...and sings it's praises.