Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffysquirrel66

Young Kousa Dogwood has never bloomed

fluffysquirrel66
10 years ago

Hi:) About 3 years ago, I purchased a Kousa Dogwood (Cornus Kousa) from Lowe's. It was very small when I got it;and now it's nearing 6 feet tall. The leaves are beautiful and full, but in these past few years, never a berry or flower. It is in a good location on the side of my house which receives part sun/shade which is what it should get according to the card that came with it--I always save these cards to refer to just in case. I am disappointed each year, thinking that this will be the year of pretty white flowers and berries. Instead; it's just a basic green leaf tree. There is no evidence of wood borers; trunk looks healthy; good drainage there and it's thriving nicely in and of itself. Not sure what else to do. Is there something I should add to the soil? I was using Miracle Gro Bloom Booster last year and was advised to discontinue that as it does nothing for this tree but encourage new leaf growth and no bracts. Did I get a defective tree? Thank you for all your input. I live in Southern NJ.

Comments (6)

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Almost certainly those are seed grown trees, and assuming that is in fact the case, you may be waiting a few more years. Seed grown trees have to mature for a number of years (only they know how many) before they will flower. A grafted tree, takes a branch of another tree that becomes attached to the rootstock (another probable seed grown tree). This grafted portion "knows" that it is already some years old genetically, and therefore will begin flowering earlier.

You likely seed grown tree will flower, but nobody can say how long that will be. BTW, flower buds are set in late summer the year before flowering, so you can examine your tree in the fall and determine if it will likely flower the following spring. The flower buds look kinda like an teardrop shaped onion in shape.You can find pictures on the net.

Arktrees

• akamainegrower
    10 years ago

Arktrees' response is right on the money. In addition to a long wait for any bloom, you also have no way of knowing anything about the ultimate size, flower quality, etc., etc. of a seed grown tree as opposed to a named cultivar. This is an excellent example of how those "bargains" at the big box stores often aren't.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

It'll be worth the wait. In addition your tree is working on producing a strong root-system these first five years of its life. And as the others are saying, seed-grown is different from a grafted tree.

Grafted-trees already have mature wood that has flowered so they will flower at an earlier age.

Be patient; you'll be happy with it.

Best regards,

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I was using Miracle Gro Bloom Booster last year and was advised to discontinue that as it does nothing for this tree but encourage new leaf growth and no bracts. Did I get a defective tree?

==>> brilliant advice ...

flowers are an expression of the sexual maturity of the tree ...

it will become mature.. when it will .. there is nothing you can do .. to speed it up ...

transplanting it.. may or may not have slowed it down ...

all you can do is wait ... IMHO

ken

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Fluffy, how is the fall color on your cornus kousa? Pretty good I bet.

Also, your tree has some advantages over the grafted ones. Yours has no graft line resistance to nutrient movement that causes the rootstock to sucker. Yours also is not a clone prone to the exact same dieseases as every other clone sold.

• fluffysquirrel66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, everyone!! In response to Toronado3800, yes in the Fall, the leaves are red and robust; so pretty to look at and admire, so there's that:) There are no suckers at the root which is nice---there are many on my 2 Cleveland Pear trees. Hoping that patience is all it takes; it's a fine tree in and of itself; just looking forward to flowers and berries:)