Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jess2132000

What tree would you put in place of the Bradford Pear?

jess2132000
12 years ago

We would like to have the biggest bradford pear taking down in the fall. We will probably have the other one done in a year or two as well. The front and biggest one is going first and we want to replace it with another smaller tree. I am considering Japanese White Lilac ir Purple Plum. Any sugguestions which one would look best out front of the house?

{{gwi:37580}}

Comments (14)

• billydoo
    12 years ago

Cleveland pear! ;-)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Billy, I sure hope you are just kidding. Maybe that's what the winking smiley was for, but I can't tell.

• jamiedolan
    12 years ago

Are you afraid it is going to break and fall on your house / car? That does happen. It is a pretty tree and it's giving you some shade.

Are you looking to just put in something ornamental that doesn't get more than about 10' x 10'?

• jess2132000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well i was thinking White lilac tree which gets 20 ft high or something not as tall as this. Yes it scares me to think of this breaking onto the cars and also the roots are starting to crack the driveway. im gonna miss the shade but want to replace it with a smaller tree with less agressive roots. May move it over a foot or two to the right more as well.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Your Japanese Lilac tree is a good choice. They are quite drought tolerant once established and you definitely need that for that location. I really like the 'Summer Snow' cultivar. Blooms on't brown as much as they fade compared to 'Ivory Silk'.

'Sundak' also looks like a promising cultivar. Leaves are smaller so it gives a finer texture, which may be more desirable based on the close proximity to the house. I believe it is crossed with Prunus maackii so it has a peely, more vibrant bark compared to the the other Lilacs.

• jamiedolan
    12 years ago

Just some ideas....

You could also look at a large slow growing tree that doesn't tend to have the aggressive root problems. Such as a sugar maple.

A Korean maple looks similar to a Japanese Maple, but may be a bit tougher. It would not be very aggressive and would get to around 15 feet.

Jamie

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago

Consider a Halesia if you want a flowering tree, very beautiful, some types taller than others. Japanese tree lilacs don't smell very good in flower.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Trident Maple or Shantung Maple. Medium size.

Hopefully, that large bradford pear won't split in half and fall on your car or the house. I've seen that happen a few times over the years whenever a very strong storm blew through.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I think Koelreuteria paniculata would look nice.

Dax

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Koelreuteria paniculata - excessive seedlings can be a problem.

How does Crape Myrtle do in Pennsylvania? (And as long as you don't try to keep it pruned because that makes it ugly.)

• billydoo
    12 years ago

yes, i am very much kidding. i learned of their viral habit after mine was planted.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Laburnum anagyroides or Styrax japonicus: options

Dax

• drrich2
    12 years ago

Would a paperbark maple survive there? Not familiar with that locality.

Richard.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Sure it would but not the right spot in opinion. Too exposed, too dry, too much concrete, plenty of pitch so most water will run off unless you have slow soakers. Not to mention if its a busy road might get some salt spray too.

Drought tolerance is key!