Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What tree would you put in place of the Bradford Pear?

Posted by jess2132000 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 20:23

We would like to have the biggest bradford pear taking down in the fall. We will probably have the other one done in a year or two as well. The front and biggest one is going first and we want to replace it with another smaller tree. I am considering Japanese White Lilac ir Purple Plum. Any sugguestions which one would look best out front of the house?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What tree would you put in place of the Bradford Pear?

Cleveland pear! ;-)

o

Billy, I sure hope you are just kidding. Maybe that's what the winking smiley was for, but I can't tell.

o

Are you afraid it is going to break and fall on your house / car? That does happen. It is a pretty tree and it's giving you some shade.

Are you looking to just put in something ornamental that doesn't get more than about 10' x 10'?

o

Well i was thinking White lilac tree which gets 20 ft high or something not as tall as this. Yes it scares me to think of this breaking onto the cars and also the roots are starting to crack the driveway. im gonna miss the shade but want to replace it with a smaller tree with less agressive roots. May move it over a foot or two to the right more as well.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 22:35

Your Japanese Lilac tree is a good choice. They are quite drought tolerant once established and you definitely need that for that location. I really like the 'Summer Snow' cultivar. Blooms on't brown as much as they fade compared to 'Ivory Silk'.

'Sundak' also looks like a promising cultivar. Leaves are smaller so it gives a finer texture, which may be more desirable based on the close proximity to the house. I believe it is crossed with Prunus maackii so it has a peely, more vibrant bark compared to the the other Lilacs.

o
ideas RE: What tree would you put in place of the Bradford Pear?

Just some ideas....

You could also look at a large slow growing tree that doesn't tend to have the aggressive root problems. Such as a sugar maple.

A Korean maple looks similar to a Japanese Maple, but may be a bit tougher. It would not be very aggressive and would get to around 15 feet.

Jamie

o

Consider a Halesia if you want a flowering tree, very beautiful, some types taller than others. Japanese tree lilacs don't smell very good in flower.

o

Trident Maple or Shantung Maple. Medium size.

Hopefully, that large bradford pear won't split in half and fall on your car or the house. I've seen that happen a few times over the years whenever a very strong storm blew through.

o

I think Koelreuteria paniculata would look nice.

Dax

o

Koelreuteria paniculata - excessive seedlings can be a problem.

How does Crape Myrtle do in Pennsylvania? (And as long as you don't try to keep it pruned because that makes it ugly.)

o

yes, i am very much kidding. i learned of their viral habit after mine was planted.

o

Laburnum anagyroides or Styrax japonicus: options

Dax

o

Would a paperbark maple survive there? Not familiar with that locality.

Richard.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 22:02

Sure it would but not the right spot in opinion. Too exposed, too dry, too much concrete, plenty of pitch so most water will run off unless you have slow soakers. Not to mention if its a busy road might get some salt spray too.

Drought tolerance is key!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here