Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadymaple

Accolade Elm

shadymaple
11 years ago

I've been a long time lurker and felt compelled to finally register. I'm very interested in planting 3 or 4 Elm trees in my back yard for shade and canopy. I did a great deal of research and ultimately decided on the Accolade Elm.

The reason is pretty simple...I love the traditional American Elm form, but I'm pretty confident a hybrid is the only thing that will survive DED AND Elm Yellows here in PA.

All of the nurseries in my area have completely written off the Elm. A couple carry the Chinese Elms, but that's it (and no one has heard of the Accolade). I've found the tree from a couple sources online. Notably, Forest Farm and Nature Hills. Forest Farm seems to be much more highly regarded than Nature Hills, but I don't really know anything about either. My biggest concern is making sure I get the correct tree, since most elms wills be toast in my area eventually.

So, my questions to all of you are:

1. Can you recommend a totally reputable nursery that can ship this tree?

2. If not, can you recommend a totally reputable nursery that can ship a tree you think would be a better alternative to the Accolade Elm in Pennsylvania?

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

All of the nurseries in my area have completely written off the Elm.

===>>> this makes your dream.. sound like a salmon trying to swim upstream with a dam in its way ....

you might want to call your COUNTY extension office.. and discuss the odds of success with a local expert ....

good luck with your quest ... if anyone can do it.. you will ...

ken

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Elm yellows killed my DED-resistant elm here in w MD -- in a month. Siberian elms nearby likely transmitted it. Be aware.

AFAIK, Chinese elm is the only elm resistant to both DED & elm yellows.

• shadymaple
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Elm Yellows is actually my biggest worry, beng. I was researching DED resistant Elms for some time when I read about the Elm Yellows issues. Notably, Elm Yellows has almost completely wiped out the legacy elms at Penn State despite an army of scientists fighting it (this after they somewhat successfully fought off DED, to the extent they thought they had a handle on it).

The Accolade is supposedly resistant to both DED, Yellows, and it's an Asian hybrid (link to info below). The reason I really this particular tree is it has the American Elm shape and spread, rather than the shape and spread you normally see in an Asian elm.

I'm willing to give it a shot, but I was hoping someone might be able to point me to a reputable nursery that ships them. I'm leaning toward Forest Farm and they've been responsive, but they just 'offer' them and don't seem to know much about them. Normally that would be good enough for me to roll the dice, but given the cost of getting the wrong tree in this case (certain death), I'd prefer to deal with someone who has a bit more experience with this particular cultivar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accolade Elm Info

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

I'd go for it. If you don't have nearby elms that can quickly transmit diseases, your chances are much better. Siberian (or more likely, Sib/Slippery elm hybrids) pioneer on my border stream & all are suffering from elm yellows, tho it takes yrs to kill them as they have some resistance from their Sib elm parentage. Pure Sib elms in my neighbor's yard are unaffected (and apparently are DED/elm yellows resistant), but you don't want those.

I like my Allee II Chinese elm -- very fast (35+ft planted 2004), but I can see it won't quite replicate the classic Amer elm shape.

• lkz5ia
    11 years ago

This is where I got mine

Here is a link that might be useful: elms

• strobiculate
    11 years ago

path of least resistance. if you have to work for half an hour to sell people on thw merits of an elm...and they go for the maple, linden, or anything else because the only thought in their head is ded...how long you gonna bang your head against a stone wall?

reputable nursery? it's only reputable until one person decides they are not going to be happy, no matter what. especially if they were an idiot and left a bare root tree in full sun all weekwnd and never watered the roots. it's not my fault, besides it has a warranty.

locate bailey nurseries, cottage grove mn...see if they have any customers in your area.

• shadymaple
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"reputable nursery? it's only reputable until one person decides they are not going to be happy, no matter what. especially if they were an idiot and left a bare root tree in full sun all weekwnd and never watered the roots. it's not my fault, besides it has a warranty.

locate bailey nurseries, cottage grove mn...see if they have any customers in your area."
    --------------------------------------

I totally agree and when I was asking for someone "reputable" in this case, it was more for accuracy in receiving the correct cultivar. I know a lot of people order one thing from an online nursery and find out it's something else when it blooms or grows. In most cases, that's not a huge deal. In this case, however, I won't be able to tell the difference, I have to count on getting the right thing, and the wrong thing will almost certainly perish.

Great news, though...I checked out Bailey Nurseries and they deal with a couple retail centers in my area. Strangely, there's regional garden center chain here with 5 or 6 locations. I checked the one right by my house and struck out, but the center about 20 miles away is listed.

I cannot thank you enough. I've spent way, way too much time on this and had been agonizing over what to do. I'm beyond thrilled.

• bljntb
    11 years ago

I planted an Accolade elm about 4 years ago . I remember at the time it had a 1.5 inch caliper "trunk".and was about 7 or 8 feet tall. It is situated near my back yard fence. Today the tree has grown to close to 4 inch caliper and about 15 feet height. Does that indicate that it's fast growing? I'll let the experts decide.T
    Tthe ground that it's planted in has no shortage of clay.
    Over those 4 years ,I have pruned off the lowest hanging limbs twice.I think it will need one last limb up in the next year or two and that's it.
    It has that vase shape that is reminiscent of the American Elm.
    Anyway I guess my point is if you can find it, go for it. There will always be the threats (i.e DED,elm leaf yellows, jap beetles ,etc.) but in my mind it beats putting in something you don't really want.
    I was at the nursery yesterday where I bought it and they are still selling them. That being Canadale Nurseries St. Thomas Ontario.

• shadymaple
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found a local nursery with Accolades in stock, thanks to the information strobiculate shared. They aren't currently digging trees, but I'm going to tag a few in August and have them delivered in the Fall.

wisconsitom or bljntb, do either of you have recent pictures of your Accolade Elms? I haven't seen one in person and all the pictures online seem to be the 90 year old original or a small caliper tree just planted. I'd love to see what they look like 4 and 10 years in.

• restorephoto
    10 years ago

I had never heard of the Accolade Elm until a few weeks ago when the city included them among the trees planted along a new hiking/biking trail along our street. These are probably 2-2.5" caliper and 8-10' tall. A few are planted across the street from us along with red oak. Different trees were planted along other parts of the trail, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Accolades do. We've had good rains since they were planted. So they're off to a good start.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting