Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurasanantonio

Magnolia Tree won't grow or fill out

LauraSanAntonio
9 years ago

Please help! I have a magnolia tree in my front yard that my husband is ready to give up on.. We planted it ten years ago and it gets the pretty saucer size white flowers on it but it is still the most spindly little tree. If it were a case of the root being bound is there anything I can do?? I was going to get some tree spikes at Lowes and see if maybe those will help but it's already June and not sure if you can do those this time of year.. Anybody have any suggestions on saving this tree from my husbands axe??

Comments (6)

• subtropix
    9 years ago

It looks like you have plants growing under the tree. Your tree is already growing in an area of suboptimal precipitation if you are in San Antonio, as these trees do best in areas which average 50 inches or more of precip., and you tree is competing with other thirsty plants. If you keep the tree, get rid of any under plantings, mulch, and maintain regular watering if you are dry.
    I don't think fertilizing is the primary problem here though. Do you see other healthy Magnolias in the area? And what exactly do you mean by being "root bound"? P.S., if your soil runs alkaline, keep in mind, they are acid-loving.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

If the roots were circled or twisted when you planted it it will struggle forever. Short of digging it up and checking/trying to fix it/replanting there's not much else you can do.

I agree on making survival easier for the tree by removing the competition underneath it. If it is already struggling the competing plants could be the last straw.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

why do you think .. after 10 years... that this is not its natural shape for your area????

if we could only actually ID the plant.. we could find out

if its a star mag.. thats probably about it ...

ken

• subtropix
    9 years ago

The tree is Magnolia grandiflora (Southern Magnolia). But I am not sure how this specimen differs from others in its area, and whether the problem is environmental or something else.

In wetter zones, this species would normally be much lusher and denser. Again, would be useful to compare to others being grown in the area.

• famartin
    9 years ago

I don't see a whole lot wrong with that tree. Its a bit thin on the foliage, but otherwise seems OK. What's the problem with it exactly?

• User
    9 years ago

Laura,
    Magnolias have roots that are close to the surface and spread out. They are different from other trees in this way.
    They don't like anything by their roots either.
    That is why they plant them for erosion control, their roots are close to surface and spread out nice and wide, holding soil on a hill.
    They can't take transplanting easily because their roots can't take it, being ripped up like that.
    THey need some room at the ground level around them, and no weed wacker near them, or running a lawn mower around the bottom of the tree either.
    They need mulch. Desperately, and a good watering schedule, and that tree will definately fill out for you.
    If there are bushes close to the bottom of that tree, that isn't good. Remove the bushes from around the bottom.
    Take away it's competition, and it will flourish.
    Water deeply once a week, go buy a round sprinkler and place it under the tree and leave it on for a couple HOURS.
    Mulch, mulch, mulch.
    They are such grand beautiful trees, and I think you will love it when it starts to fill in a bit.
    It's not the soil PH, or it would have withered away, it's already 10 years old.
    Good Luck.