sam_md

ID Please

sam_md
11 years ago

{{gwi:378376}}

Comments (12)

• calliope
    11 years ago

Look like American persimmon blossoms to me. That's what mine look like, anyway.

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

If they are somewhat fragrant, it's persimmon. We've got tons of them around here. What does the tree look like?

• sam_md
    Original Author
    11 years ago

^5, both accurate & speedy.
    Common Persimmon is one of my favorites (added to the list numbering 1000). I only found out from a recent search that it is one of several larval hosts to Luna Moth. Plus delicious fruit in November.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

-I'm gonna keep posting pics, sooner or later I'll stump everyone :)
    Sam

• calliope
    11 years ago

I have one down in my little orchard and thought it a 'cute' tree until I found out it is a racoon magnet come fruiting time. LOL. It's old enough now the limbs are finally able to handle the ten pound bandits, but back when the tree was younger the nightly raids did a some damage to its aesthetics.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I have persimmons, but not luna moths. I've only seen them twice here in my entire life. I used to see cecropia, polyphemus, and promethia fairly regularly, too, but haven't seen those in years, either. I think they were all wiped out in the 1990s when the county was spraying Bt every year to control gypsy moth.

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

Well, we have a ton of persimmon trees, not many raccoons, and at least a few lunar moths around the house. Here is a lunar moth caterpillar I found snacking on my live oak a month or so ago. He was a hungry little fella having eaten two branches bare before I found him!

John

{{gwi:378377}}
    By jp_42_82 at 2012-06-04

{{gwi:378378}}
    By jp_42_82 at 2012-06-04

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Yes, they're fascinating caterpillars. I used to enjoy seeing cecropia caterpillars crawling down the trunk of my maple tree around September in search of a place to make a cocoon. For some reason, they didn't seem to like to do it in the tree, but preferred to find some low shrub to make a cocoon in.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I have found cecropia cats on Paulownia trees. I guess that's the only thing they're good for. Speaking of which and off topic..........this is the first year I have found lots of seedlings under Paulownias. People said they weren't invasive in this area. Even the danged arboretum was selling them in their plant sales a few years ago. Yeah, and I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I only wish that I took this pic two weeks ago, this Common Persimmon was absolutely loaded with fruit, now most of it carpets the ground. They are sweet as candy and you can't eat just one. Seedy yes, just spit the seed out. This is one of the top 10 trees for wildlife habitat throughout its native range.
    {{gwi:378380}}

• woods_man
    11 years ago

I think the bark of a mature native persimmon is it's most ornamental feature.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

I think the stump of a Persimmon is its most decorative feature. ;0)

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

All the female trees around here were loaded with fruit this year - I have never seen so much on them!