Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posierosie_zone7a__

Any chance saving my Oak?

posierosie_zone7a
10 years ago

Hi,

We moved into our first home last year. We have some really lovely trees but a large Oak was struggling a bit last year, but this year it barely had any leaves.

Here are possible reasons:
1. Embedded laundry line from original owner is strangling the tree.
2. Nutrient poor soil (soil test had about zero nitrogen). I put in those stake fertilizers sparingly around trees and bushes and put a slow release organic fertilizer on the lawn this Spring.
3. Foot traffic near trunk. It is right near my back stairs. I would not say there is daily traffic but we do run around on the weekends.
4. New vegetable garden disturbed the roots and pushed it over the edge after suffering 1-3.

In the first attached photo you can see the bare crown. More pics to come.

Comments (10)

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the scar from the former laundry line.

• Ruffles78
    10 years ago

1,3 No way. 2,4 are possible, but probably in combination with another ailment.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dear Ruffles,

Thank you. With the severe lack of leaves that you are seeing, do you think if we treat it, it *might* have a chance? I am just wondering if a tree this stressed has a chance of bouncing back.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Unless the weather was really wrong last year or you did a heck of an excavation for this garden I worry about the big fella.

It might be time to get a couple estimates for removal so you are prepared when (if?) the time comes.

• brad_s
    10 years ago

You mention 'foot traffic'. I know this is a long shot, but you don't throw salt on or near the ground over it's root zone to clear snow and ice do you? Do you know if the previous owners did this sort of thing?

Truthfully, I'm of the opinion that *you* didn't do anything to cause this as you were not in that house long enough to cause these problems. I think the problems, whatever they are, started before you got there if that is any consolation for you.

I hate to say it, but things look pretty bleak for that tree :-( Give it some time though.

Good Luck,

Brad N.IL/Z5

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for your input. It is sad news, but pretty expected given the condition.

I doubt salt was being used as the previous owner was elderly and probably avoided using those stairs.

A question or two more if you have the time:
    What if anything can we do to help lessen any stress to place the odds (bleak as they may be) closer to a recovery?
    How long should we wait before making a decision to remove? Should I leave it be and then see if it fills out a bit more next Spring?

I cannot thank you enough for all your help.

Best,
    Rose

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

The decision to remove should be based on safety. If the tree overhangs your bedrooms, home, garage, it has a shorter leash than if it is over the back 40.

Getting a professional out there is probably the best thing. You can get them removal estimates at the same time.

What you can do to lessen stress? That is a huge tree. Just do nothing to disturb it. Don't go building new decks around it or doing any large excavations to plant pumpkins or whatever. Even in drought watering a tree that size would be an undertaking.

The situation sucks. I have removed five large trees from my yard. I have planted their replacements but it is a generation down the road before the replacements take their place really.

• Ruffles78
    10 years ago

You could try leaving a hose out to run around portions of the root area for an afternoon, but only if there is a drought. It definitely looks stressed, but it may have been in decline for a while now. Sometimes this just happens. It could die later this year, or it may bounce back in the spring. Just keep an eye on it and get it taken out quickly if it does die. Planning a replacement tree wouldn't be a bad idea.

• brad_s
    10 years ago

I'll have to side with Toronado on this one to be honest with you. Yeah, I suppose that you could give it more time, but frankly, the odds against it ever recovering to it's full vigor are staggering.

Safety first is an important component to this discussion.

I suppose one advantage to removing it sooner than later is that you can replace it with another tree sooner and get over the loss of this one.

Oh, one more important thing. Should you elect hire someone to remove it, be sure to use a guy that has insurance, and make him/her prove it!

Best Wishes.

Brad N.IL/Z5

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Last summer was dry here (I'm 30 mi from the OP) but not anything that would kill an Oak. We had dry "spells" but weren't in a drought like the Midwest was.

Winter was mild to start & average cold Feb/Mar...so I don't think it's that.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus