Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What maple is this?

Posted by oh42 Tx (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 20:33

I got this maple in the yard, the picture of the leaf is attached. What maple is this?

Also, it always gets stressed in summer especially on the west side, to the point that the tree looks lop sided and fuller on the east side. Is this normal? I am in Dallas area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What maple is this?

Sweetgum tree

o
RE: What maple is this?

Sweet Gum (Liquidambar styraciflua). Although the leaves are similar, this is not a maple (Acer). They do like maple conditions i.e. good amounts of water and neutral to acid soils. I suspect that the problem with the west side has something to do with it being a bit warmer than the tree might like when the west sun hits it. However, I have seen these growing nicely in the San Fernando valley in so. California where the summers regularly get above 100. Check to be sure the soil is moist, not soggy, especially in the afternoon. Look for buildings or pavement that could be reflecting extra heat or light onto the west side as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here